Chapter 22

Standing in the doorway I watch with nervous excitement as Max shakes hands with the estate agent who has spent this Monday afternoon taking snapshots of our freshly redecorated home. Thinking back on the past few weeks following our weekend in Italy I recall our discussions, with Max adamant he wasn't selling given the demand for prime London property.

So I really have no idea what made him change his mind since he arrived home last Friday following the end of filming but I like to think he came to realise that I will never settle in the home he'd shared with Melody. It had been their place together, her choice of decor and while I respect her exquisite taste along with the hard work she'd once put into her career to afford such luxury, it would never be completely mine.

"Miss Campbell?" The agent addresses shaking my hand unexpectedly. "I've recommended an asking price of ten to twelve million. Max, I'll be in touch. Good day." Open mouthed I stare after him not quite believing what I've heard - I mean, I've known it's a goldmine but this? We could live like royalty for the rest of our lives on a tenth of that!

"Not bad for four years, is it?"

"What's that?"

"Our initial investment was four million at the arse end of a recession and now it's almost tripled in value."

"It's a bloody fortune," I laugh. "Great investment!"

"I know. That's why I've decided not to sell." Spinning on heel I glare at him in disbelief.

"But the agent..."

"I've had the property valued because as you know Monty inherited Mel's half when she died. And now I know the market value I'll be transferring my half into trust for Holly."

"You can't be serious!"

"Oh, but I am." Smiling he leads us into the hallway closing the door behind us.

"But it's five million pounds, Max! Per child!"

"So it is. God, you must have been good at Kingston's." He jests tongue in cheek prompting a gentle shove from me. "And to help our plans we can take two million on loan from my half before I gift it to Holly. That way we can buy our new home and as soon as I've been paid from the movie, I'll settle the borrowing."

"But that could take at least six months!"

"We're not in any rush, are we?"

"Er, if you say so." I can't quite believe my ears.

"Good."

"So the kids will own the property?"

"Yes, but we'll rent it to fund their education. Surely I don't need to remind you of all people the importance of growing a nest egg."

"You told me you were selling!"

"No, Gracie. I didn't. You assumed because I invited an estate agent to take a few photos that I'd changed my mind. I haven't."

"But what about our place by the sea? What about our country house? You promised."

"And I will deliver on it."

"How?!" I demand.

"Well, for a start we already own a place by the sea in Fortrose, Gracie."

"But that's your home, Max!" I state, frustrated.

"Actually, it's ours!" He counters, piqued. "And anyway, we can buy an incredible house in the countryside for two million. It makes perfect financial sense, Gracie. I really don't understand why you're so annoyed about it."