Chapter 4

I pull into Shepherd Street at 9pm and both our babies are sleeping owing to the lateness of the hour. I've known all day I need to broach the question but I just haven't had the balls to spoil our outing. What had started out as a day destined to be filled with Gracie's anger and disdain towards me in fact turned into a beautiful day and Monty had enjoyed it immensely.

"Thanks for today, Max. I just want things back to normal for the children as quickly as possible and I'm glad Monty had so much fun."

"Me too," I answer, looking her straight in the eyes. "He really seems to have put everything behind him. Did you tell him that pirate story?" She doesn't reply, instead turning her gaze to the floral display in the shop window.

"That was sweet of you. He thinks he's been on an adventure for a few days."

"I didn't know what else to tell him. He started to cry outside the nursery when he saw I'd been hurt and I had to quickly make up something. He was frightened at first but the story helped even if it was a white lie. I didn't want to scare him."

"You love him so much, don't you?"

"You're only realising this now?"

"No. I've known for a long time. Gracie, I need to tell you..."

"Don't Max." She cuts me off but I won't be deterred.

"Don't? How long are we going to keep this up, Gracie?" Her eyes drop to her hands. "I have so much to say. Won't you let me at least try to explain?"

"No. I don't want to think about it anymore."

"Why? I don't understand." I take her hand desperate for contact but she pulls back in horror.

"Don't spoil this for the children." Her words ooze bitterness and I know what's coming is nothing I want to hear.

"But we need to talk. I need to tell you what happened." Looking up she considers me with a troubled expression.

"What about, Max? How you betrayed me in the worst possible way?"

"I'm so, so sorry, Gracie, but I can explain."

"You have an explanation for purposely withholding the fact that you knew about that cheque?"

"You remember?" Thank God!

"Yes, I remember! So do you have an explanation for allowing me to be falsely arrested and taken by force? You have an explanation, do you, for letting people believe I'm a child abductor?"

"I know what it looks like but..."

"But nothing!" She seethes furiously and I know she's desperate to scream. "The police dragged me from your house and those bastards had me on the front pages within hours! I've read the articles! I'll never work again and I'll never be free from speculation! How dare you do that to me?!"

"Please, Gracie. I know tonight's not a good time with the kids here but please, hear me out."

"Why should I?"

"Because I love you, damn it! And I think deep down you still love me!"

"Love? That's what made you do this to me?"

"In a roundabout way, yes." She sneers at my reply.

"You don't know the meaning of the word, Max! Let me be totally clear so we both know where we stand. I don't want you to love me. I don't want you to touch me and I certainly don't want to hear about why you chose to wound me. I can't allow you to hurt me again." She opens the car door and makes to leave but hesitates. "We have a baby together, and a son if you ever let me be part of his life. And they need us. That's it."