Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Weaving her fingers with mine I lead my enchantress through the sliding doors away from our guests, and out unto the private balcony. Under a luminous half-moon we pause to admire the London skyline but shivering I sense her hesitation as she inhales the cool night air.

"Are you cold?"

"A little, but I'll be fine." Instinctively, I remove my jacket placing it around her shoulders and almost immediately she relaxes before my eyes.

"What happened just now with my parents?" she whispers, her warm hazel eyes meeting mine.

"They're worried about you. I understand that, now."

"Did you confront them?"

"Quite the opposite, actually. I approached them to break the ice but your mother barely let me speak before she began apologising. Your dad was hard work though. Is he usually that stubborn?" Tilting her head she sneers at me confirming my suspicions.

"They're really frightened they'll lose us. I think they're more stressed by all this than they're letting on."

"Yeah, I get that. He gave me a flea in my ear over the arrest but I think I redeemed myself. He shook my hand in the end."

"I saw that!"

"He understands it was all to get Monty back but he can't get his head around the necessity for it. I don't think I'll ever get my own head completely around it."

"I know what you mean. I could've swung for DI Brooks yesterday when he first arrived. God knows I thought of nothing else while lying in that cell but what happened to me was only a snapshot of an extremely dangerous situation. I can't bear to think what could have happened to Monty." Gripping the surrounding glass wall her voice breaks, her despair and love for our son evident. "Every time I think of that day, Max, I just want to rip that bastard's head off."

"I feel the same, love. Steve will catch him and then we can put all this behind us, but for now at least let's not go over it again. It's much too upsetting for you. Monty's home, you're home and we're all safe. That's what's important now."

I offer my hand which she readily accepts guiding her to the adjoining patio and turning the corner I hear her gasp as she takes in our surroundings. The subtle bouquet of white and pink peonies sits elegantly in a vase on one side of the cream sofa, and on the other are two champagne flutes accompanying a bottle cooling in a chiller. Church candles stretch tall atop the glass walls, their bright yellow flames dancing in the darkness.

"Max." Her gentle tone suggests complete understanding. Swallowing hard I'm aware my mouth is dry and as nerves kick in I urge her to take a seat. She waits, her expression serene and as my heart races all the planning I've made for months in my head is nowhere to be found. Promptly I fall to one knee, it's the only part I can remember.

"I..."

Fuck! Why is this so difficult? Sensing my stage fright her soft cool fingers lightly stroke my cheek and without saying a word she calms me.

"Do you know you mean everything to me?"

"Yes."

"And do you know I'd move heaven and earth just to touch you for a single moment?"

"Yes."

"Do you believe me when I say there'll never be anyone but you?"

"Yes," she whispers, smiling.

"I'll give you everything you'll ever want and need. I'll sell my soul to be with you until the day I die, Gracie. And I will love you, beyond death."