Chapter 26

"You're already attempting to bribe me with sex?" Snickering he takes another drink, eyes full of mock concern.

"Wouldn't dream of it, Hollywood. But it's like you told Steve Brooks earlier; there's no point in them hanging around much longer especially if it's going to compromise our fun."

"Hmmm. Maybe," he murmurs. "Okay, let me think on it."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Thank you." Smiling I lean to kiss his cheek, hopeful he'll concede. "Right! Let's go find the kids."

                    *************

Growing tired from excitement and the lateness of the hour, Monty and Holly are fast asleep as my parents prepare to leave. Still, it's with needless worry that I kiss them goodbye despite knowing I'll see them in a couple of days. I really don't know why I'm fretting; we'll have half a week with them in Fortrose before we set off on honeymoon. Max is yet to reveal where we're destined though I do hope it's somewhere warm and exotic where we can swim and relax in the sun, and make love for an entire week.

Trusting Willie and Ailsa to shepherd our guests, she sets about booking some transport for later.

"Tell them to drop off at the pub first, Ailsa." Willie instructs her politely. "Ma's havin' a lock-in."

"Woohoo! Is she?"

"Aye, hen. She just doesn't know it yet!" Clearly determined Willie throws her a wink, his wit assuring me those fated to greet the wee small hours would do so entertained. Creating an arch for us to run through our friends and family clasp hands as they send us on our way, and thanks to Willie's forward planning our luggage awaits us granting a smooth stroll along the pathway towards the cabin.

"God, this place is amazing." Sighing as we walk Max heartily absorbs the rugged beauty soaked in moonlight surrounding us.

"It really is. I'd forgotten just how much I cherish it."

"I'd have loved a childhood here."

"Inverness has its merits too, Max."

"I know but it's not the countryside."

"Growing up in a village can sometimes be isolating. I think I needed to leave to allow myself to grow."

"True. And I'd likely have chosen a different path if I'd lived here."

"Then I'm delighted you didn't otherwise things might not have turned out for us as they have."

"Perhaps I'd have captured your heart before you left for uni," he jokes.

"I think a twelve year old boy securing the affections of an eighteen year old girl is a little farfetched, don't you?" Amused he pulls me to him gently kissing my cheek.

"A school boy's dream."

"Very funny." I giggle amused.

"I was a good looking kid even without the fresh air of the Highlands. I might have stood a chance," he adds, chuckling.

"And modest too clearly. It's therapeutic this place. Daddy used to say the land survived years of neglect just to welcome my feet upon it."

"He said that?"

"Yep. My friends and I climbed most of these trees at some time or another and I even broke my arm falling from that one. Still it didn't stop me. Mum would come to find us and sometimes bring a picnic."

"Sounds idyllic."

"It was, until the rain came on and sent us running for cover!" Smiling we exchange understanding.