Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Turning off Holland Park Avenue, I step into Lansdowne Road anxious about seeing Max again but knowing that I have to stay strong, if only for the children.

Not only am I tense but I am now soaked to the skin because what started out on foot an hour ago as a beautifully crisp morning in Hyde Park, has since turned to grey clouds and heavy rain. What the hell was I thinking putting Holly in the pushchair? It's barely March!

Having failed to wave down a cab, I've now been forced to walk the whole way and while that had been my original intention, I'd definitely not planned to do it in the rain. With one blanket under her rain cover, I was certain Holly would have been close to frozen but upon closer inspection, I am delighted to discover that she is toasty warm. I on the other hand am desperately cold and as I walk up the road my thoughts reflect on the last couple of days, chilling me further.

Released from custody on Wednesday with all charges dropped and no definite explanation as to why I'd been arrested, I'd called Andy. I knew Caitlin was staying on in Chennai and of all the people I knew of late, his was the only number I had memorised years ago apart from my mother's. But I knew she'd be at Olivia's with dad and right now I just hadn't the strength to face them all. Mobile phones had a lot to answer for considering I rarely committed anyone's number to memory these days.

To give Curtis all praise he had been nothing short of amazing, arriving at the station before dawn and sorting out my release paperwork in record time. He'd filled me in on Monty's safe return the moment he saw me almost causing me to break down with relief right there in the custody suite, but somehow I'd managed to hold it together. He'd also seemed very prepared as if he'd been expecting it and even offered to drop me home but I knew that meant to wherever Max was and at that moment, I couldn't face him either.

Agreeing to help, Andy had picked me up, driven past Max's home to ensure the coast was clear and waited outside while I gathered some clothes. Unable to locate my phone, I'd messaged Caitlin using his, asking for her help and if she could put me up. She'd answered immediately confirming she'd be back today and that she'd always have room for Holly and me.

The conversation though with my mother had not gone to plan. Whilst relieved and delighted to hear from me on Wednesday afternoon, my parents were not so pleased to learn that I had contacted my ex-husband for shelter with mum going so far as to threaten that she was coming to collect me. I soon put that to bed reminding her that I was almost 40 years old and could look after myself, which of course resulted in her commencing the silent treatment. My poor dad who was likely dealing with his own frustrations hadn't come to the telephone, confirming that the chances of him arriving in a cab to fetch me were doubtful. A storm was brewing there. I could feel it.

Sometimes though, I really could slap myself for being so pig-headed. What I should have done last night was stow my defiance and accepted Max's offer to pick me up and had I been in possession of my phone this morning, I would have given in half an hour ago and called him. But no, I always had to know better. I had to make my own way and now I was likely to end up with flu.

As I near his home I spot Max's car in the driveway and suddenly fearful of a repeat of Monday evening's drama, my heart begins to pound in my chest. I scan the pavements for paparazzi finding no one around. Hurrying toward the door it opens instantly and before me Max stands, like some kind of god looking dangerously handsome in dark navy jeans and a light blue shirt. With his skin baby soft and his hair freshly cut, I'm certain he's been for a groom this morning. Every inch of him screams Hollywood star and I hate myself for letting his beauty disarm me.