Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I smooth my hands over my skirt for the hundredth time and inwardly I'm pleased with my reflection. My mouth is dry, a clear sign of my nerves but given how trim I look tonight my pleasure outweighs my tensions. Opening the bathroom door I exit unto the landing where I find Max coming out of the nursery and for a few quiet moments we gaze at one another.

"Wow. Gracie, you look..." His voice is barely audible and for a moment he forgets himself but there's no mistaking his reaction. With all that has happened between us I try desperately to remain angry with him but shamefully, I'm thrilled.

"Shit, I..."

"Max!" I attempt to be scornful. "You really do need to watch your language. If Monty hears you he'll be saying that in front of our mothers tonight. And I'm quite sure that neither of us wish to be subjected to their wrath."

"Sorry." He appears embarrassed as he clears his throat. "It's just...well..." Taking a breath, he gathers his wits though his eyes continue their perusal. "You look incredible, Gracie."

I smile, despite my need to stay angry with him. After all, my aim was to look sexy, if only to defy my age. With my hair pinned into Victory rolls and my makeup applied to perfection, I'm dressed in a red, calf-length pencil skirt and fitted cream blouse, stylishly shaping what's left of my curves and having resurrected my red silk heels from the closet, last year's birthday treat to myself, I now slip my feet inside.

"You think?" I tease, aware that I shouldn't.

"I know. Are you out to impress anyone in particular tonight?" I hadn't thought of that. So, 'no', is the simple answer.

"Just myself, thanks," I reply, unashamed. He mumbles something under his breath that I don't quite hear but I don't press him. "I like your suit. Not very Max Jacob, though, is it?"

"No? I've only worn it once before at Kingston's GPC reception and it proved pretty useful then. I call it my 'lucky suit'." He flashes me his Hollywood smile, flicking his eyebrows twice.

"Oh yes, how could I forget? You were quite the Mr Bond, I seem to recall."

"Oh, really? '007 reporting for duty, ma'am'," he retorts, mimicking the spy in his sharpest Scottish accent. I can't help but grin at his playfulness.

"Enough of your theatricals, Jacob. And anyway, I don't care if you are the world's hottest spy. There'll be no more swearing, do you hear me?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Are the kids ready?" He watches as I enter the nursery.

"Sa-pwise!" Monty's shriek certainly does surprise as he runs forward with a bunch of white Calla Lilies that are almost as tall as he is. Lost in emotion, I bundle him up in my arms along with the bouquet. They smell heavenly, just like him.

"Thank you, my little prince. What a lovely gift. Have you two babies been waiting in here for me to get ready?" He nods, proudly.

"However did you manage to stay so patient?" I look around and notice a trail of sweet wrappers across the floor, along with the soft sound of Holly's musical mobile spinning above her.

"Ah! Bribery." I laugh, catching Max's eye. "You know all the tricks, daddy. No wonder you've exposed your double agent!" Rolling his eyes and whistling, he says nothing, assuming innocence.

"You could not be in a more suitable profession, Max Jacob. In fact, you should be winning more awards than just that one!" I joke, taking the flowers downstairs. "I'll just put these in water, then we'll go."