Chapter 14

It's approaching four in the afternoon and having arrived home safely following a delicious lunch at Lily's Tea Room, Connie entertains the children giving Max and I time alone. We walk along the shore hand in hand with Max retelling this morning's adventure. Monty had loved every minute of visiting the stables and having slipped from his pony only once, he'd shrieked with laughter as Patch slowly trotted forward taking Monty with him by the foot.

"I calmed down once I'd rescued him and realised he wasn't injured. Our boy's a proper little stuntman," Max grinned. My heart had leapt to my throat and I'm certain my face had been the colour of snow when Monty revealed all in the car on the way to lunch, much to Max's amusement. But with his eyes full of excitement and pride at his own bravado, I soon relaxed realising this was likely one of many occasions when I'd worry about my son - an occupational hazard I'm learning quickly.

The wind from this morning has calmed though there remains a chill in the air and as we stop to sit on some rocks I zip up my rain mac to my chin.

"Look, Gracie." Max offers his phone for my perusal. "He's feeding Patch here." Snuggling against his shoulder I smile as he flicks through the photographs animatedly. "We had a great a day but I wish you could have seen him for yourself. You shifted that headache yet?" He asks, concerned. I almost deny it's lingering until Max rests his hand on my thigh looking directly into my eyes.

"Don't even think of telling me it's gone because I know you, Gracie Campbell."

"I'll be fine, baby. It's nothing. I have some news," I say, diverting his attention. "I spoke to Scarlett earlier." An astonished expression replaces his anguish.

"You did? Why?"

"Well... I emailed her early this morning on the off chance that she'd yet to put forward your veto and thankfully as it happened she hadn't spoken with the director." Eyeing me suspiciously he rubs his stubble but I detect a hint of a smile beneath his fingers.

"I'm not really sure how I feel about that, Gracie. I asked you to let me think on it."

"I know and I hope you have in between leading our son astray," I joke. "But it's such a huge opportunity to turn down and besides, we don't know that my mother will want to see me or relive any of the turmoil that I so obviously brought to her life."

"I don't think it was quite like that, Gracie."

"Maybe. Anyway, Scarlett has arranged a Skype meeting with the director at six this evening and she's going to call you at five thirty."

"Is she now?" And the smile he's so desperately trying to mask immediately reaches his eyes. "Perhaps I need to employ you as my PA. I'm currently without one."

"Shut up, you!" I laugh. "You've never even had one. And regardless, my hands are full looking after our children but I can always help. I'm good like that."

"Oh, I know you are. After all, you single-handedly managed to bring my mother and sister back into our lives." He leans across me, his eyes searching mine.

"She could've said no, Max, which only goes to prove she wanted to be part of your lives again."

"You," he whispers, rubbing the end of his nose gently across mine. "All you."

We sit for a short time in comfortable silence watching as the tide rolls out and the clouds grow grey. Only then do I realise it must be late afternoon.

"Jeez, it's four thirty now," I say, glancing at my watch. "We should probably head back and prepare for Scarlett. Please just hear her out, Max."

"OK, beautiful lady."