Chapter 12

It's been a long day waiting for Connie to arrive but finally she pulled up around 2pm and with quick hellos and a few minutes handover, we leave our babies safe and happy in her hands. We drive along the seacoast road toward Lagg chapel and as we do I sit nervously circling my thumbs. Max reaches across once more taking my hands in one of his.

Our meeting with Father Hughes has been arranged for the last few days – this had been Max's idea to ensure he'd see us.  In attempt to keep honest reactions for when we would meet him in person, Max had explained very little to his secretary only that having heard so much about the wonderful place we felt we should visit where some of our relatives had been married. Max merely mentioned the family name but sensed immediately her familiarity with it and following a few subtle prompts from Max as to whether Father Hughes would be there, she'd confirmed that he would and arranged the meeting.

"It'll be fine, Gracie," Max reassures. I smile in response feeling a little more hopeful. Ten minutes later we reach the winding road leading to the chapel. The small white L shaped building sits peacefully in a stunning setting and while only minutes from the shore it's surrounded by green fields that roll around it. I've always loved visiting churches but to my shame I confess it's been a long time since I've worshipped and unexpectedly I'm filled with guilt to accompany my apprehension.

"There's no parking," Max observes as we drive along slowly. "There's only this road."

"It's very quiet," I say, observing my surroundings. "I can't see there being a stampede of traffic unless it's sheep. Here will be fine, love." We park alongside the church and climbing from the car Max whistles in appreciation of the view.

"What a beautiful country. I love the scenery here, it's staggering." His expression mirrors his glee but I can't reciprocate just now and anxiously I gather my bag and jacket.

"You've got DI Brooks' notes? And your questions?" Max asks. I check again for the hundredth time and nod. Placing his arm around my waist he gently pulls me to him and with his free hand he tucks behind my ear a few strands of a hair that have loosened with the soft breeze. He's more handsome today than ever, his ocean blue eyes shining with sincerity and love, and I can't help but think that he could be anywhere right now especially with his play commencing next week but instead he's chosen to be here with me.

"I love you, Gracie. The kids and I aren't going anywhere. You know that, don't you?"

Dropping my head a little I whisper, "Yes."

"Good. Then let's do this, beautiful."

Taking my hand Max walks us toward the church and entering he holds open the wooden door for me. As I follow him inside I'm instantly greeted by the scent of fresh lilies and the warmth of daylight spilling in from the windows. I draw in the bouquet which brings to my mind the memory of my birthday and the array of fragrance from the colourful displays Max had arranged for me. It's comforting and at once my worry lessens.

It's a lovely church with a few sacred statues, a beautiful altar and wooden pews. Looking around I see we're alone and I can't help but wonder why Father Hughes isn't here to meet us though it's now approaching three o'clock and we'd agreed 2.30pm. Perhaps he's late himself, I think smiling. After all, it is Ireland and from my limited knowledge of the Irish they usually run to their own time schedule.

Max walks to a pew where I expect him to sit but to my amazement he kneels making the sign of the cross on his body. It's a scene so deeply moving and private that I have to swallow hard against the lump rising in my throat. I've never known him before to care for religion and frankly I'm stunned but for what reason I don't know because I often find myself praying in times of need and gratitude so why should Max be any different? He's flesh and blood just like everyone else in this world. I'm overcome with emotion realising that even in the mess we have found ourselves in we still have so much to be thankful for and taking the lighter in hand I prepare candles for Erin and Melody, joining Max in silent pray.