Chapter 11

A soft, warm hand touches mine stirring me from slumber and as I open my eyes the first thing I notice are the raindrops on the windscreen. Where are we? I think to myself, disorientated.

"We're here," Max whispers smiling, drawing my attention to his handsome face. Instinctively I check the backseat to find our babies still asleep, the result of being wakened at the break of dawn to catch the 7am from Heathrow to Belfast.

The flight had been smooth in comparison to our airport experience which was a blessing - that had been a trial in itself with Monty running around the security area bumping into commuters and climbing all over the booth in the restaurant we'd eaten breakfast in. I've rarely seen Max lose patience with his son but today Monty appears to have led his daddy a merry dance.

Of course the truth of the matter is that Monty has been no more playful than his usual impish self, making it much more likely that Max is still feeling the pressure especially as there's been no further sightings of Jonny King and against my nature I've found myself on more than one occasion hoping he may have served himself his final dose. The last month has certainly taken its toll on us, forcing Max to wrestle every emotion imaginable and I settle that this trip is exactly what we all need.

Lowering the window, I see at once that Malin is stunningly picturesque. It's a small square surrounded by private dwellings, a few pubs and a triangular shaped green in the centre that boasts a perfect lawn graced further by today's showers. Overhead grey skies are shifting to the west making room for the blue following in their wake. At once I am filled with hope for all that I need to learn about my first months of life.

I gaze around and as my eyes rest on a few of the houses Geri Devlin crosses my mind. Had she lived in one of these? Had her family? But the questions quickly disappear as the sound of Holly gurgling interrupts my train of thought.

"Look!" Max points to the newly painted hotel taking up prime position along one side of the street. It's very welcoming and bright particularly in the rain. "We'll collect the keys for the cottage there and then it's a ten minute drive. Jesus, I can't wait to get outside! I feel like I've been trapped in an airless bubble all day!"

"Maybe we should have sailed instead of flying," I say, knowing he'd have been much more comfortable in his own car.

"Nah. We'd only just have reached Stranraer by now and still have had all the driving after. This journey is much faster for you and the kids."

"Thank you. At least we're here in time for a late lunch. Shall we?" Taking his hand, he smiles.

"Lead the way, Miss Campbell."

*************

For such a small town, the Malin hotel in Inishowen had over the years welcomed many guests including a number of celebrities whose photographs with fans hang proudly on the walls of one of the bars. I'd sensed Max stiffen having discovered them, likely dreading that anyone should notice him having lunch in private with his family.

I've always sensed that he loathes that part of his career - being constantly aware of paparazzi and their long lenses as well as the interruption in public for the now famous selfie. Even I know that has become the more sought after possession and I fear that gone are the days when a fan might just wave at a celebrity in recognition or when they might first ask for an autograph while offering a congratulatory comment about their work. After all, not everyone is comfortable with having their photograph taken. I know I'm not.

Other than a few giggling and pointing girls, Max and I have had little disturbance throughout our relationship of being stopped in the street for pictures, then again we haven't really been properly together for that long. I know he used to enjoy being recognised because anytime I would come across selfie's of him with fans on social media he was always smiling but that has definitely changed over the last few years and likely the reason is his relationship with Melody King taking centre stage. Maybe that's why he ended up hating the attention. I must ask him later when the time is right.