Chapter 20

It's been weeks since the confrontation with Geri and days since she's been sentenced. And while Max has been completely understanding making several attempts to distract me from my contemplation the fact remains I still feel on edge.

I want to concentrate completely on my wedding and look forward to a honeymoon where I can spend every moment with the man I love but with the ever present threat of Jonny returning I'm uneasy and Max knows it.

There has though been some good news. Alexander Valentino, the King family's legal representation is being investigated and amongst other actions being called into question, is the legitimacy of Melody's most recent will. The Bare Trust as suspected appears to have been forced upon her at a time when she was in no fit state of mind to make decisions and her cause of death is finally being scrutinized.

Max's biggest fear where Melody is concerned is the exhuming of her body. Regrettably it was something I'd once considered but knowing my fiancé as I do now and the days ahead in Monty's later life that we must face together, I am in no doubt this would be far too painful for them to endure. There simply has to be another way to get to the truth.

The best news of all is that Max's play has received glowing critique which in turn has grown his confidence ahead of his next project. With filming for his movie a mere six weeks away he is now in receipt of his script though I have yet to get my hands on it being locked away in his safe to avoid our mischievous little boy from drawing on it. Smiling at that thought I reach for my iPad and begin the search for flights to Inverness. Having promised Ailsa that I'd pop up for a visit, next weekend seems the right time to do so.

                                                            ***************

"Hey, beautiful." Max wearily greets me from our bed. "Sorry you had to take a cab. I'd have come if it wasn't for this flu."

"Don't worry, love. It's always faster to take the train; when they're running, of course! How are you feeling?"

"To say you are a sight for sore eyes would be an understatement. How is Ailsa?" I smile and lean in to kiss his cheek but he quickly draws back stifling a sneeze.

"Oh, you are suffering, aren't you?" He nods, agreeing. "I'll fetch you a hot drink in a moment. And Ailsa is her usual bubbly self, thanks for asking. How are the babies?"

"Jeez, you don't want to know!"

"Really?"

"Yes," he sniffles. "Do you know Monty has taught his baby sister to commando crawl?"

"I saw them try that last week. I thought it was cute." Noting Max's disapproval I suppress a giggle beginning instead to unpack my overnight bag.

"I woke yesterday barely capable of moving and when I saw them at that I had to call Soph. He must've taken Holly out of the cot," he squeaks, horrified.

"That little monkey! I can only imagine your shock. Soph came to the rescue?"

"Yes, thank God. She stayed over to let me rest."

"That was kind of her. Where are they now?"

"Holland Park. Monty wants to see the peacocks, again!"

"Good. The fresh air will tire them out." Removing my passport I set it on the bedside table but as Max's eyes note my faux pas we both smile.

"Safe," we say in unison.

                                                            *********

Fifteen minutes later I return to our bedroom with hot lemon and honey, and some pain relief.