Chapter 28

A single gunshot.

Followed swiftly by another.

And as the terror of this living nightmare peaks I stare silently into oblivion. For a moment time stands still, the unfathomable horror gripping my soul squeezing life from my heavy lungs.

Without warning thoughts of our wedding day unexpectedly flood my mind; how wonderful my handsome Max had been; the attention and kindness he'd shown to our guests, his devotion to his children. Unknowingly he'd loved me his entire adult life, the girl in the park who'd smiled his way. That girl had been me and I'd stolen his beautiful heart. The same beautiful heart that beats no more.

Unimaginable grief consumes me as reality hits, a thousand tears spilling at once and sagging defeated I lose all control. He's gone. My sweet, loving husband has been snatched from my life and murdered in cold blood. I'm barely alert; the pain in my heart confirming me a widow and our babies fatherless. And soon they'll be motherless when I'm taken too.

I await his thudding footsteps, each second more agonising than the last and as I try to block out the chill in my bones I attempt to steady my breathing. I won't go without a fight this time, no matter how weary I am. Jonny King will feel my hatred of him from whatever strength I can muster; he'll know my husband would've killed him with his own bare hands given half the chance of a fair fight. Moments pass cruelly feeling much longer until finally the jetty begins to vibrate as heavy footsteps near, and my heart races uncontrollably as I prepare to meet my fate.

"Get her out of the water!"

Adrenalin flows through my veins awakening my sleeping limbs, my head thrashing from side to side for a glimpse of what I pray will be a friendly face. A huge splash of water and I'm no longer alone, and in seconds two of the security team come into sight.

"Gracie! Gracie, can you hear me?!" I can barely see his face through a blur of tears but answer their pleas with a fragile nod as they carefully untie me. Shock grips restricting my speech, my mind solely fixed on the aftermath from their late arrival; Max is dead because I selfishly seduced him and disgusted further I close my eyes shameful of the ill effect of my greed. Pulled from the water in a bundle I'm swiftly wrapped in the remaining throw; one guy grips me tightly rubbing my arms, the other mirroring the action with my legs.

"She's going into shock. Where are the goddamn paramedics?! Go and check for them, Cal!" The older guy demands of the younger, who instantly bolts to his feet. "Gracie, stay with me!" 

"My husband is dead." I manage to croak.

"I... I don't know, Gracie. I came straight to you. Let's get you on your feet and we'll go find Brooks."

"Brooks?" I whisper, startled. "DI Brooks is here?"

"He arrived moments before we did."

"Where is he?"

"In the cabin with... with them."

"Take me to him. Please!" Sweeping me into his arms he carries me from the jetty, stopped short by the return of the younger guard.

"Looks like a blood bath in there!" 

"Jesus, Cal. Have some respect!"

"No... I didn't mean..."

"Quit yacking and help me with Mrs Jacob! Can't you see she's in shock?"

"Sorry, boss." As we near the cabin DI Brooks emerges shaking his head, his face sombre as he talks on his phone. Catching sight of me he snaps it shut, his eyes briefly meeting mine before dropping them. Jumping to the ground I pull the throw around me running to him.