Chapter 25

Yawning I wake refreshed stretching my arms above my head. It's barely daylight suggesting it's still early and rolling to face the window I focus on the huge bouquet of stunning red and white roses Max gifted me last night.

"They represent the innocence and passion of our love," he'd whispered intently, placing soft lips on mine one last time as his fiancée. The reminder I'm to become his wife in a matter of hours arouses my tapered nerves but as my eyes rest on the magnificent display I'm soothed by his sweet gallant gesture, a subtle celebration of all we've shared.

His timing was a welcome detour from my inner fray following his security update on our walk home. The team of four arrived yesterday in our absence and under Max's careful instructions they'd set up in the grounds briefing him on our return from the tearoom. I'd not seen or heard a peep from them assuring me of Max's promise to keep them out of sight, though the reason they're here at all is never far from my mind.

Throwing on my wrap I cross the room opening the door unto the veranda. The air still damp from morning dew softly cools my skin urging me to fasten the garment. But as I stand in awe taking in the prestige of the marquee beyond the misty covered hedgerow border, someone catches my eye and instinctively my heart skips several beats. He turns toward me for a fraction of a second and as I struggle to place him through the scattered haze I clutch my thudding heart.

Grasping my phone I quickly text Max, his reply is immediate.

Good morning, Beautiful. Sorry about the early wake up call. I asked Willie to drop something off as I couldn't risk bumping into you. It's bad luck, remember?

I almost had a heart attack. You could've warned me first.

It was a last minute addition and I was trying not to disturb you. It is 5.50am. You should still be asleep.

I was awake which is just as well as your security team didn't seem to realise he was here.

I told them he was coming. They were likely watching his movements.

LIKELY??!!

They WERE watching his movements.

They better had been. He could've been anyone.

I know and that's why I didn't want them wasting precious time tackling him when they could be observing elsewhere. Sorry, love. I didn't mean to scare you.

I just got spooked, that's all. I'm OK.

You know I can't wait to be your husband, don't you? I'm going to look after us.

I know that, baby. What was Willie doing, btw?

It's a surprise. A good one, I promise. What time is it all kicking off over there?

The kids and I will have breakfast with mum and dad, then your folks are coming to collect them at nine thirty.

And your bridesmaids?

They're arriving with Henri at ten along with the makeup girls.

That's four hours away - I had hoped you'd rest. In case you're forgetting Mrs J-2-B, I have naughty plans for you tonight ;)

At once I'm grinning at his ability to melt my anxiety.

You're smiling.

I am.

What are you wearing?

You want to play this game?

Might do...