Chapter 19

With my fingers frantically tapping the white plastic coffee cup I sit waiting anxiously for my name to be called. It's been ten minutes since visitors were escorted to their awaiting residents and having been told to remain seated I'm beginning to suspect that Geri's had a change of heart, though I'm praying not.

As each moment passes I'm awash with emotion, one minute consumed with anger for the woman who enabled the kidnapping of my children and the next I'm reminded she's my own flesh and blood. It shouldn't affect me but irritatingly it does. Unable to prevent my mind from drifting, Jonny King's face intrudes my thoughts causing a shiver throughout me. Where's he hiding?

"Grace Campbell?" My attention is drawn to the officer from earlier. She barely smiles but with a subtle nod I confirm my name a second time.

"Come this way, please." Following her along the illuminated corridor we eventually reach the visiting room where she hands over the small parcel I've brought.

"That's fine," I'm told and taking it I place it in my bag. "It's been scanned and checked."

"Thanks." Entering the room I'm thrown a few glances from inmates likely scrutinizing my lateness but as I glance around it takes seconds to find her. Sitting alone at a table in the corner of the room Geri observes me as I walk toward her.

"Long time no see, Gracie." Remaining seated she smirks while her eyes dance behind her greasy blonde fringe. She's greeting me like an old friend?! Momentarily my frustration returns but this is one occasion I mustn't let my ill temper get the better of me, and with Max's list squeezed tightly in my hand I take the seat opposite preparing for her prudence.

"I see you've recovered."

"Not with you, Gracie."

"From terminal cancer."

"When did I say I had that?"

"In your office when Holly and I came to visit."

"I didn't say I was suffering from cancer."

"You said you were dying, Geri."

"We're all dying." She sneers reminding me at once of Jonny King and his ugliness.

"And the chemo?"

"Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've had it for years."

"You let me believe you were gravely ill."

"I told you a few facts. It's down to you how you perceived them."

"You tricked me into feeling sorry for you, which was the only reason I agreed to meet you the day you snatched my children. You'd no intention of retiring, had you?"

"I had big plans to begin with."

"Plans that involve Jonny King?" Agitated she shifts in her chair. I've guessed correctly that he's the boyfriend she spoke of.

"What did you think was going to happen, Geri? That you'd just take my kids?"

"Maybe."

"Then what? Jonny would be so grateful that he'd sail off into the sunset with you?"

"You don't know anything about us," she retorts.

"You actually believed he would take you with him? Along with Max Jacob's children?" I laugh at her audacity.

"He wasn't interested in Holly. He only wanted the boy."

"For what purpose? He can't look after himself never mind a child. He couldn't even care for his own daughter!"