Chapter 27

Swallowing hard Max glances downward, his face and body tensing before me. With every inch of my being I pray that I'm wrong but as his panicked expression confirms my fears all hope I had is lost. The narrow jetty vibrates above me as heavy feet tread the boards, each step growing louder as they approach us.

"Lovely to see you again," he taunts. "I'd almost given up on catching you alone together but I must say this couldn't be better. I don't have to knock the bitch out now." Max flinches before me, seething.

"You lay a finger on my wife and I swear Jonny, I'll kill you this time!"

"Wife? That slut? Don't make me laugh!"

"I'm warning you!"

"And how the hell are you going to do anything about it?"

"I thrashed you before and I'll do it again."

"S'at right?" He sniggers, kneeling closer. "How's that gonna work out, asshole? Cuz as far as I can see you're both in there starkers and she's trussed up to the fucking posts."

"Untie me, baby." I whisper.

"Don't you dare touch her?!" Jonny growls angrily causing us both to flinch. "It's like you said, she's going nowhere. You on the other hand can get out. We've got unfinished business to discuss."

Ignoring his request Max fumbles with the ropes desperately trying to free me but as Jonny's rage escalates he swipes Max's face causing his head to swing in my direction. At once blood streams from his brow, the wound swelling in seconds and realising he's used some form of weapon terror engulfs me further.

"Fuck sake, Jonny! She'll freeze out here!"

"I think that'll suit the plan just fine."

"What plan?" Max whispers nervously.

"The one where I take you inside to blow your brains out while she listens out here unable to stop me. And later if she hasn't passed out from hypothermia I'll just have to break her skinny neck." A piercing cry escapes me. He intends to kill us both. My body chills instantly from shock and sensing my panic Max strokes my cheek attempting to calm me.

"Don't worry, Beautiful. It'll all be fine." His voice laced with doubt fails to reassure, both knowing in our hearts if he leaves me here, if he goes inside with that psycho, the love we've fought so hard for will end bluntly with one bullet.

"I said get out!"

"Please don't go with him, Max." Tears stream from my face as I beg for the impossible; there's not a chance in hell he'll stay out here where I'm a sitting target. Cupping my face he gazes upon me, his expression filled with angst.

"I love you, Gracie Jacob." Reluctantly he smiles through shivering lips and tenderly kisses my brow. "I've always loved you. Promise me you'll never forget that."

"I...I promise. I love you, too." I cry.

"We done here?"

"You'll never get away with this, Jonny!"

"Oh, I will! And to think you tied her up yourself." He laughs wickedly. "The cops will think you killed her in some sick sex game, especially when your prints are found all over this pretty little pistol. They'll think you shot yourself. All I have to do is leave it a month or so before handing myself in and if they still convict me for taking my own grandson, then I'll likely face eighteen months. I'll be released for good behaviour, free to carry out my daughter's last wishes. I'll have everything you own, including Monty. And your bastard daughter can go to hell."