Chapter 3

Daybreak approaches. The sky is stunning as it kisses goodbye to last night's darkness and with its blanket of greys and blues, and splashes of pink it promises sweetness and serenity filling me with hope. London life is rising and as 7am nears, cars and people are already on the roads making their way to the office and stopping for caffeine.

I know Gracie has been released following Curtis's call but she refused his offer of a lift. Instead she'd made a call to someone before squeezing a twenty from him saying it was for cab. I have no idea where she's gone or who she's with, nor can I say I'm happy that our daughter wasn't her first priority but what right do I have to say what she should do? She's likely still in shock and angry but I'm prepared, at least I think I am. And anyway, no doubt she's gone to see Caitlin which can only be a good thing; she'll have had opportunity to talk and at least thrash out her anger before coming home...if she comes home.

I glance in the rear view mirror and smile observing my gorgeous little boy asleep in the back seat clutching his own T-Rex and not the replacement Geri seemed to have acquired. Its foot is still broken but I swear it's the first thing I'm fixing when I get home. Gracie and me being the second.

I pull into Vincent Square easily finding a space near my mother's doorstep and before I've managed to climb from the car, my parents and the twins are on the pavement to greet us.

"Hey, hey," Josh soothes as Pippa and Ruby clutch him. "He's fine. No need for tears. Look, he's still sleeping." He points to Monty who has yet to waken though I have a feeling that won't be for long as mum reaches in and practically pulls him from his seat in floods of happy tears.

"Mum, he's okay. Don't scare him." I laugh properly for the first time in a long time. "The paramedics checked him over and gave him the all clear." She steps back to look at him reassuring herself that he is in fact OK before letting me take him. Monty, now alert by daylight, opens his eyes wide and gives them his cutest smile as if he saw them only yesterday.

"Gwanny! Gwanpa!" He reaches to da who grips him firmly and ruffles his hair as he always does.

"My wee babbie. How's my wee babbie?" Without further encouragement, Monty launches into a story about being taken by pirates and waiting for the princess to rescue him. In any other circumstances, I'd be in awe of his imagination and the fact that his words are forming so well but not today. How dare they make light of taking him!

"Are you staying for breakfast son?" Da asks. I can tell from his expression he wants me to.

"Are Jock and Jessie still here?" He shakes his head.

"They've checked into the Grange but I expect they'll be here before long. I've let them know Monty's been found safely and that Gracie's been released, like you asked me to."

"Then, no. I won't stay. Is Holly awake?" He offers a raised eyebrow and smirks knowingly. "Your mother's been up with her for over an hour."

I follow them inside to the lounge where mum has set up a nursery. Monty needs no invitation as he bounds among the toys to his sister who breaks into fits of giggles as he wrestles her in his arms. She pulls his hair and he lets out a yelp startling her but she doesn't cry, instead giggling harder matching Monty's own laughter.

From behind, Soph arrives with a tray filled with coffee and Danishes oblivious to my desire to leave quickly before the Campbell's arrive. Regardless of my trepidation, I love my family and right now I need them more than I fear another bollocking.

As if on cue, Jock and Jessie appear and without as much as a 'good morning' to me, they cuddle Monty and Holly, then share their relief with my parents. It's obvious they have little time for me but in light of the fact that their daughter, my partner is still MIA, someone's got to break the ice and it looks like it'll have to be me.