Five - A Sweet Apology

"It's so great that we're in class together

"It's so great that we're in class together. This is Mrs. Turner's room," Sage said stopping at the door to wait for me. "We're even here early enough to pick seats next to each other. Where do you like to sit?" she asked.

"Usually closer to the back if it's available."

She chose a seat just in front of the last row of desks, and I sat down at the desk next to her. "I can't wait for this weekend's party. What are you going to wear?" she asked as she opened her bag.

"Wear? Uh, jeans and t-shirt I guess." I'd never been to a house party before, so I had no clue what might be appropriate.

"I think I might get something new tomorrow. Oh, I know, we could go shopping after school at a couple of shops in town! You'll have to come," she said loud enough the front row could have heard her.

"I'll have to check with my Grandmother, but I can't see that being a problem, though. If she's ok with it, why not."

"Yes! It's going to be so much fun shopping with you. I can't wait." She reached down into her bag and pulled out a binder, then unzipped the front of her bag in search of a pen.

"What's all the excitement about?" Kellan loomed over my shoulder.

"You've got to be kidding me. You're in this class too?" To my dismay, when I turned around I found him sitting at the desk immediately behind me.

"Small school, it's bound to happen." He grinned and dropped his book on the desk.

"Really? But do you have to pick that seat too?" Sage raised an eyebrow showing her doubt in his sincerity.

He looked at the blackboard and then at me and replied, "I think this spot has the best view of the room." He gave a smirk. "I rather like it," he added and leaned back in the seat.

I groaned and dropped my face into my hands, shaking my head. Without looking up from my palms, I asked loudly, "Are you trying to torture me? Haven't you done enough damage for one day?"

"The way I look at we're even," he replied.

"Even?" I said turning to face him. "What are you talking about have you seen my face? It's purple, swollen and throbbing."

"All right then since you put it that way, almost even. The way I see it, you smacked into me this morning and got to say you're sorry. I accidentally hit you when you turned in front of Jaxon, but you still haven't let me apologize. So I guess we're almost even," he said with a glimmer of iridescence in his crystal blue eyes.

After considering his logic for a moment, I gave him a polite smile and replied, "All right, I'm ready. Let's hear it then."

"Anyone can say they're sorry. I believe actions speak louder than an apology." Other class members were sauntering into the room when Kellan got up from his desk and knelt beside mine. He was now drawing the attention of other students around us. He picked up my hand from my lap, brought it to his lips, and lightly kissed the top of it. The kiss was so tender and sweet it was like being caught in a warm summer rain that you embraced, remembered and pined away waiting for it to come again.