Twenty-Five (Final part)-From Here to Beyond

This isn't the end of the series, just the final part of book one. Head over to The Dream Traveler for more of the series. Thanks for reading! :)

"Wren? Wren!" a male voice bellowed in the distance.

"Hmm?" My ears were ringing. "Here," I said as I pushed myself up sitting. I felt like I'd fallen out of a tree with every muscle in my body aching in pain. Tall stems of grain surrounded me, making it impossible to see over. "Kellan?"

The sound of crunching straw halted behind me. "Oh, thank the Circle!" Kellan knelt beside me and pulled me into a hug. "You did it," he murmured. He wiped some blood from my face using his sleeve, then kissed my forehead.

"Did what?" I stumbled to my feet staring at the blood on his shirt. "Whoa—" I was stunned to see two moons in the bluish-purple horizon. Where the heck—?

"Acklemar. Welcome home." He smiled, then lifted me off the ground spinning me in a circle.

In the distance, someone screamed. "Where's Sage?"

He placed me on the ground

He placed me on the ground. "I don't know, but if I had to guess, I would say that direction." He grabbed my hand, and we started running through the golden stalks toward her cries.

When we found her, Robin was hunched over her trying to stop the bleeding with his shirt. The molten fireball had caught her side and had charred and burnt her clothing. Judging by her shaking and gulping for air—she was hurt badly. He kept running his hand through her strawberry hair. "It will be okay. You're going to be all right. Just breathe," Robin said rocking her gently.

"What's he doing here?" Kellan said.

"Helping." I dropped to my knees next to her. "Kellan, we need ice."

He nodded, pulled off his off his pack and tugged a towel lose.

"You bought your backpack?" I don't know why never even noticed he had it.

"Nebula said not to leave your house without it." He rotated his hand in the air. "I wasn't about to start questioning her freakiness and leave it behind." He opened his palm and dumped chunks of ice onto the towel. "Betcha she said something to Sage too." He pointed to the half-filled bags of paraphernalia on the ground. The contents had dumped all over the place when they landed.

I looked up, placed my hands on the sides of his face and planted a kiss on his lips. "You're brilliant!" I jumped up and started searching through the stalks for the simple white jar Gran had given her. Score. "Found it!"

I crouched next to Robin and moved the towel of ice next to her side. Robin tore the lid off the jar and passed it back. I dipped my fingers in the white cream and rubbed it on the burn over her arm.

"She's stopped shaking," he whispered, still staring at her.

But that wasn't a good thing—she had passed out.

"Robin, I need to have a look. Can you lift the shirt you're holding?" He pulled the fabric off the wound. Blood oozed, and I could see one of her ribs. I had never seen someone hurt this bad before. I held my breath and rubbed the cream on the edges of the burn. Then I placed my hand over his, returning the cloth back to her side.

"We need to get some help. What's close?" I said looking up at Kellan.

"Besides nothing? Closest town is that way, and It will probably take ten hours or more to walk there. There's no way we'll find it in the dark."

I glanced over the field and noticed the sky had already started to fade.

Robin looked up, "I think I can help. At least with finding us somewhere to sleep." He backed away from Sage, walked past the edge of the field, then stopped next to some shrubs and threw his arm in a wide arcing circle. The bush responded growing new leafy life in the path he had drawn. When he closed hands together the shrub domed over completing the cave-like shelter.

"Cool trick," Kellan commented when he walked up.

Robin just shrugged. "I don't know, I kind of like the ice thing."

"Enough sizing up each other's skills. How about helping me get Sage moved?" I must have stood up too quickly. My head felt light and fuzzy.

Kellan looked at me like something was wrong. "Wren, are you okay?"

"Uh-huh." The ground seemed to shift. "Why?"

"Your nose is bleeding again—"

My sight blurred, and I stumbled when my knees buckled beneath me. Before I hit the ground, my thoughts were pulled off into a vision of darkness.

The inky flames shackling my ankle lit up in pain, and I forced myself to bite back the scream I held in my throat.

That was quite the disappearing act you just pulled with Kellan, Jaxon's voice boomed in my head. I willed my eyes open. He was a smoky version of himself against the blackness. There but not. He grabbed the brand around my ankle and grinned. My skin lit up in pain with his palm igniting into me. Now, I see why my father insists on our union. He's always said, 'you are more than just a pretty face.'

But you're not the only with hidden skills, he whispered into my ear. His fiery breath poured over me radiating with anger. Remember... You. Are. Mine. —From here to beyond.

And I'm coming for you.

Hugs to all. THANK-YOU for your support! NEXT BOOK coming out in about a week's time. Stay tuned! I will post the first chapter here and give you a link to the next book. 

(Psst... Please consider voting and commenting.)