Twenty-Three (part 3)-Burnt Bridges

Hi, Everyone!! Here's the last part of this chapter.  Can't wait to hear you thoughts on it. Hugs to all!

(JAXON SPEAKING)

(JAXON SPEAKING)

It was the first time in ages I felt like I could just chill. The flames from the drink were still searing inside me, taking the edge off things. Wren, mmm, damn that girl was hot, and she just agreed to be mine. Couldn't wait to make that official and finally get my father off my back. "Hey, do you know where the girls have gotten to?" I elbowed Robin.

"Uh, yeah, they were at the bar on the other side getting a drink," he answered, pointing across the room.

Sage was sitting on a stool cozied up to the bar, sipping on a cocktail. Of course, Wren was nowhere to be seen. I could feel my heart start to race as I scanned the lounge trying to spot her. "Ugh."

"What's up?"

"I don't see Wren, do you?"

His gaze traversed the crowded room, and he shook his head. "No. No, I don't. Maybe, she just went to the washroom?"

"Possibly. Still, I think I'll go check-in with Sage. She'll likely know where she disappeared off to."

"You're probably right, but just to be sure, I'll ask around. Who knows, maybe the Traveler has seen her."

"Thanks, man."

He pushed his drink across the counter, then got up and headed toward the entrance of the lounge where the Traveler was. I tossed some cash on the bar and shoved my way through the packed dance floor making my way up to the bar next to Sage. "So, you come here often?" I laughed, leaning against the bar.

She looked up like she was going to tell me off. "Ha-ha. It's a good thing I know you're not actually trying to pick me up. By the way, there's no way that line works on any girl worth being with."

"So, I notice you're sitting alone. You don't know where my girl has happened to wonder off to?"

"Oh, uh, we had a drink together, then she said she was going off to find you," she commented, looking uneasy.

There was something off in her response, a micro-expression that made me think and question her reaction. It was the same look my brother had given me hundreds of times whenever we played Calept. He would inevitably try and bluff his way into winning the game. His eyes would twitch, then he'd look away when he called out the titles in his collection. And I'd know—just like I did now. She was lying.

"Nope, haven't seen her since the two of you took off for some girl time," I answered tersely. "But you already knew that." I could feel my fingers start to tingle, and my temper flare up responding faster than it normally did.

"I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Where could she possibly go? You've got the keys to the car. How could she possibly leave if the Traveler's haven't given us a pass yet?"