Six (Part one) -The Match

Being the new kid in school was hard enough, without adding a grapefruit-sized bruise for everyone to gawk at

Being the new kid in school was hard enough, without adding a grapefruit-sized bruise for everyone to gawk at. Honestly, I probably would've attracted less attention wearing a tutu and tiara than with this swollen lump on my face. After being in this school for only one day, I couldn't help but feel I had achieved a whole new level on the awkward scale, even for me.

When Sage and I walked into the gym, a few students were chatting around the sidelines, while the rest of the class finished changing in the locker rooms. Just beyond the group of girls, on the gym's far wall, were the words, Swallow Falls High School. The name painted in a golden colored script and outlined in black had a three-dimensional look to it. Below the title was a picture of a giant growling wolverine. In case, someone had any doubt as to whether it was a depiction of a wolverine, wolf or dog, the words, The Wolverine Thrash had been added in a royal plum colored font that looked like was typed on an old typewriter.

As we got closer to the group of girls, a hush came over everyone, and they started to look over in our direction. It felt like I had a flashing neon sign above my head, pointing at me over and over again, saying new girl right here. Feeling even more self-conscious about myself, I started to fidget with the hem of my shorts.

"Hey, Jessica, how was your summer?" Sage said addressing the queen bee of the group. The girl had on the same yellow shorts and plum colored shirt that the rest of us wore as part of the school gym strip. The only difference was that she actually pulled off the look with her toned athletic figure and long perfectly curled hair flowing over her shoulders.

With a sharp look, Jessica looked directly at me and said, "Leave Kellan alone, he's taken." She raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"W-what?" I mumbled, not knowing what to take of her brashness.

"Your little miss innocent act doesn't work on me. I don't care who you think you are, but Kellan is off limits. Got it?" she said with her drones crowding in behind her.

"Back it up Jessica, last time I checked you didn't have any reins on Kellan, and besides my girl hasn't done anything to provoke his attentions."

"Really? Lizzy says that she saw Kellan kissing her hand in English class. Are you trying to tell me that's nothing?"

Both Sage and I knew the exchange between Kellan and I was loads more than nothing, but neither of us was about to admit that to Jessica. An arm swung over my shoulder and pulled me in against a hard lean muscular body from behind. When I turned to see who had grabbed me, Jaxon leaned in with a smile that could melt an iceberg and placed a quick reassuring kiss on the top of my head. His kiss radiated with a heat that ran through me, silently awakening me within.

Jessica stood there with her mouth hanging open looking about as dumbfounded as I felt. Jaxon's eyes briefly flared an intense green angry hue just before he turned his head to address her.