Seven - When It Rains

"I'm off to the basketball tryouts

"I'm off to the basketball tryouts." She leaned on the locker next to mine.

That didn't seem like a Sage thing. "You're trying out for basketball?"

"Wow, Lizzy really did hit your head hard with that racquet." She laughed and put her bag down next to her. "Being short, having no jump or coordination, there's no way I'd make the team. Nope, I'm on the all-important sports medicine team," she said in a perky tone that made her sound like a cheerleader. "Which pretty much means I'm on the sidelines taping ankles and stuff. The joys of needing the volunteer experience so I can get into college," she said sounding more down to earth. She held up a few rolls of tape and tensor bandages in her delicate hands. Sage might be five foot nothing, but what she lacked height wise she more than made up for in personality.

She slung her bag over her shoulder and put the tensor bandages and tape roll in a side pocket. After zipping it shut, she grabbed the pink elastic around her wrist and pulled it around her strawberry blonde hair wrapping and twisting it to secure a ponytail in place.

"All right, I'm off. See you tomorrow?" Her voice raised in pitch as if asking whether or not I would indeed be back.

I nodded and handed her a piece of paper with my cell number on it. "Sure, I don't frighten that easily, but I might seriously need to consider that helmet option, though. Call me later?"

"Sure. I need to check in on my patient." She lifted her bag to her shoulder. "Maybe you should have your Grandma pick you up."

"Are you kidding me, she would kill me for not having called her already. At this point, it's just easier not to tell her that I've been knocked out twice today. Besides, the fresh air will help clear my head on the walk home." I grabbed my uneaten lunch and closed my locker. "Have fun taping ankles." I walked backward down the hall toward the doors.

"Will do, I'll call you later." She waved and turned jogging down the hall toward the gym.

I walked out the door and down the front steps of the school. A few students were sitting on the stairs talking about their assignments from the first day. The coolness of the fall air picked up, rustling the fallen leaves around my feet as I walked over the old cobblestones. The rumble of car engines starting as students and teachers were leaving broke the quiet of the afternoon. As I walked along Lanyard Street, I took in the picturesque view of the trees arching overhead. Their branches interlocked and shaded the road below with their autumn leaves of red and gold. I dug into my bag trying to find Gran's famous oatmeal cookies. Finding my lunch, I pulled out a cookie and took a bite. At the end of the block, I turned left onto Gathorne Ave and jaywalked across the street.

The air was breezy, and I pulled my sweater around me a little tighter to keep warm. I munched down the remainder of the cookie, then dug through the rest of my lunch to find another. The afternoon sky started to change color with the clouds turning a deep gray. They looked like they would spill over with sadness at any moment. When I turned right onto Main Street, two store clerks from McKay's Grocery were rushing to bring in the outdoor displays of fruits and vegetables in anticipation of the rain.