One - The First Day of School

"Wren? Wren, are you all right honey?" Gran asked

"Hmmm? What?" I jerked my head up to look at her. "Oh..." Fan-freaking-tasic. "It happened again, "I said in the most casual tone I could muster. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

My gaze turned to the dishwater, where only a few remaining soap bubbles floated on the surface. When I pulled out another plate to wash, I noticed my fingers were wrinkled and prune-like from soaking.

"Nice try, you're not fooling me. I'd like to think I know you better than that." Her brow wrinkled when she spoke. "It's bad enough with you screaming and falling out bed with those nightmares you get. But they're happening in the daytime too?"

"Gran, there's no need for concern. Everyone has dreams."

"Really?" She shook her head. "Just how long do you think you've been standing there like a statue?" She walked around the counter and stood behind the dish rack where a single lone cup sat drying. With my hands in the lukewarm water, I knew what that answer was.

"Okay, longer than I should have. It's just the stress of starting at new school and beginning the year without any friends, again. It's nothing to worry about. Really," I said and gave her a big toothy smile in an attempt to mask any worry I actually had about the increased number of nightmares I had experienced lately. "I know you worry, but I'm fine. Honest." I dried my hands off, picked up a half piece of toast and took a bite.

"You're not fooling anyone young lady. If this continues, we are seeking help for you. End of story. Your health is my primary concern, so if there are any more changes in these daytime nightmares or whatever you want to call them, you are to let me know. Got that?" she said with a determination that wouldn't be overruled by anything I had to add.

"Yes ma'am," I said almost kidding, but still in a respectful tone.

"Okay, I'll finish the dishes up. You get ready for school. If you finish them, at this rate, you won't get to school until lunchtime. Speaking of which, I've already packed a lunch for you. Your favorites are in there, so you have something to look forward to."

"Oatmeal cookies?" I asked, hanging over her shoulder.

She turned around and smiled, knowing I guessed her secret. "Yes, there are oatmeal cookies in there." She sighed.

"Ah, you're the best grandma. You know I love you. Right?" I leaned in kissed her cheek, then ran out of the kitchen and bounded up the stairs to my room.

My room was the first at the top of the stairs on the left. It wasn't anything special. With our recent move here only a few weeks earlier, and having moved several times in the last three years, I hadn't felt like putting anything away yet. I thought if I delayed long enough, I might save myself from having to pack it back up when we moved the next time.

The only thing I had even bothered to put up on the walls was a poster of a UFO flying overhead with a caption, I want to believe, on it. I couldn't help but think we weren't the only ones in the entire universe. Just because we all hadn't seen little green men didn't mean they weren't there, right? I don't know. I guess maybe I just wanted to believe in something or that maybe we weren't all alone.