Nine - A Fiery Response

I'm dedicating this chapter to: rlm1948 one of my readers that has been dedicated in leaving comments at the end of the chapters. (Much appreciated, looking forward to hearing what else you have to say!) As always I love to hear from my readers, please feel free to comment or message. Enjoy the latest chapter.

 Enjoy the latest chapter

I think I stopped breathing when I saw them—sitting there waiting for us. The word awkward with a capital 'A' was nowhere near big enough to describe this situation.

With his hair disheveled and wet, Jaxon sat in his chair leaning it back against the wall. He was facing the staff kitchen entrance like he knew we'd return through it at any moment. Jessica sat across from him fluffing her perfectly curled hair. Her eyes snapped up when she heard the feet of Jaxon's chair hit the floor with a loud thud that echoed throughout the room.

"See, I told you they were here together," she chirped, smiling like she half expected a pat on the head from him.

Ugh, I super don't like this girl.

As we got closer to the table, Jaxon stood up and pulled out a chair for me to sit. "Hey, Wren, glad to see you've dried off from all the rain. Jessica said you looked like you got caught out in that downpour." He pushed the chair in for me.

I can't imagine that's all she had to say, my internal voice chimed in silently.

Kellan sat down across from me like there was nothing out of the ordinary and looked at Jaxon. "So, to what do we owe the pleasure of you joining us?" he asked.

Just then my phone alert sounded indicating I had a new text. "Sorry, I haven't let my grandmother know where I've been, she's probably checking in," I said, tasting the lie on my tongue.

The truth was my grandmother knew people texted each but how they did it was a mystery to her. If she wanted to talk to me, she'd call, and the only other person with my number was Sage. I pulled my cell from the back pocket of my jeans and unlocked it.

Hey, how's my favorite patient?

OMG - SOS @ Stompin' Grounds. Pls come quick, I typed.

Leaving school now, B there soon.