23-Just A Bundle Of Joy

About a month has passed by and I was currently doing a little light shopping at the mall. I hadn't even realized it had gotten dark out.

I bet Kid's already preparing dinner. Not finding anything of interest at the mall, I walked down the dark streets toward home.

On the way, I caught sight of a group of stray dogs heading down an alley. I quietly rushed after them. I peeked into the alley as I heard a soft cry.

I saw them hungrily licking their lips as they approached a small bundle on the ground. My eyes widened and I climbed on top of the concrete wall, changing form as I rushed ahead of them.

I jumped down in front of the bundle of blankets, snarling and snapping at the dogs. There were three of them, growling back at me.

In an instant, they lunged at me. I fought back, biting and clawing at them. The biggest one managed to pin me, but I quickly kicked him off me.

He fell back, knocking into a trash can before running with his tail between his legs, whimpering the whole way.

The other two jumped at me. I managed to bite one in the leg and clawed the other one's face. They both whimpered as I chased them away.

I turned toward the bundle of blankets and slowly made my way over. Pushing some of the blankets out of the way, I was met by big, blue eyes.

The baby began crying as he looked up at me. I leaned closer and nuzzled him.

"Shhh, it's okay now, little one."

The baby stopped crying and cooed at me. I glanced around to see if his parents were nearby. Not seeing anyone, I glanced back at the baby before shrugging.

I started leaving the alleyway. Oh well, it's not my problem. I'm sure his parents are somewhere around here anyway.

I froze as the child began crying again. I glanced back and just stood there. Wait, I can't leave him here, it's too dangerous. What if he's an orphan like I was?

I turned and walked back over to the baby. He stopped crying and smiled up at me. I found myself smiling as I gazed down at him.

"I know how you feel, little guy. I've been in your place before."

He giggled as I nuzzled him. His tiny little hand reached up and grabbed my fur momentarily. I changed back to normal and picked him up.

He cooed as I cradled him in my arms. "Don't worry, I'll take care of you."

I bundled him up in the blankets and carried him home. I wonder what the others will say. I entered Gallows Mansion and slowly made my way to the kitchen.

Liz, Patty, Drake, and Drew all sat at the table while Kid was turned away, cooking something at the stove. Everyone at the table looked toward me with wide eyes.

I put a finger to my lips and looked to where Kid was. "Um, Kid?"

Without turning around, he said, "Welcome back, Luna. Dinner's almost ready."

"Kid, I kind of...found something on the street and I don't know what I should do with it."

"Well, that depends. Is it an object or an animal?"

I had no idea how to answer. "Umm..."

The baby in my arms let out a soft coo. I noticed Kid flinch slightly before slowly turning around. His eyes were wide as he looked at the bundle in my arms.

"You found a baby?!"

I nervously nodded. "He was all alone in an alley. I had to chase away some stray dogs that were ready to attack him. I couldn't just leave him there."