29-Princess?! Part 1

"What did you just call me?"

The old man smiled kindly at me. "Princess. You're the princess from the legend. You've come to help us."

I glanced back at the twins to see their shocked faces before looking at the man again. "I'm terribly sorry, but you've got the wrong girl. I'm no princess. I'm not even from here."

The man slowly shook his head. "No. You are the one. Come with me and I'll explain."

I followed the man to the palace in the center of the city. We passed by people who took one look at me before bowing. Drake and Drew looked as confused and shocked as I was.

Entering the palace, we were immediately greeted by a stone statue of a woman. I heard the twins gasp as my eyes grew wide.

I lightly touched my face as I stared at the statue. "T-That woman...she looks just like...me."

"That's because she is you, in a way."

I tilted my head in confusion as I looked over at the old man. He gestured me over to an old mural. With the twins behind me, I stood next to the man.

"This mural depicts the legend of our city, Jericho, the city of the moon. It all started centuries ago, when Jericho was first created. Our city was attacked by a great serpent of the desert."

My eyes followed his hand across the pictures, following along as he told the story.

"The great sand serpent was a ravenous beast that destroyed and devoured everything in its path. We had no hope of our city's survival."

I gasped at the next picture of a girl that looked like me. "That's when Princess Amira appeared, as if coming to our aid. She quelled the beast's fury and drove it back under the earth. Now, every one hundred years, the great serpent rises again only for a reincarnation of Princess Amira to appear, once again driving the beast back into the ground for another hundred years."

The old man smiled warmly at me. "You are a reincarnation of Princess Amira. You came in time to stop the serpent, which will rise in just three days starting tomorrow. What is your name?"

"I'm Luna, those are my weapon partners, Drake and Drew."

He nodded in satisfaction before bowing his head. "Princess Luna, your weapons are welcomed guests of Jericho. My name is Omar. The people of this city are at your command."

I shook my head. "No, no, that's okay, really. I don't want to trouble you."

"It's no trouble at all, Princess. It's the least we can do for our savior."

"B-But I really can't stay. I need to find my friends."

I turned to leave but Omar was quick to stop me. "Please, you can't leave us. Jericho will be destroyed if you're not here to stop the sand serpent."

I couldn't say no to his pleading eyes. I sighed. "Well, alright. I suppose I can stay, at least for now."

Omar happily smiled. "Thank you, Princess! We will serve you as best we can! Now, to get you appropriately dressed."

At his words, a couple of servant girls pulled me into a luxurious bedroom. They quickly undressed me and clothed me in a beautiful, yet revealing, Arabian outfit (in the pic) and put the black part of my hair into a high ponytail.

I stepped out to see the twins dressed in their own Arabian apparel. They averted their gaze upon seeing me while Omar happily clapped his hands together.

"Wonderful! You look just like Princess Amira! Simply beautiful!"

I glanced back at the statue, noticing that I was wearing the same kind of outfit. I covered my chest with my arms.