25-Arctic Mission Part 2

The following day, we split up again, tracking down two more Alphas. Kid and I had tracked down a reindeer-like monster and were now fighting it.

We had already taken down the smaller monsters leaving the Alpha by itself. Kid shot at it while my wolves snapped at it. It backed away until it was cornered.

With its back against a small cliffside, it stood its ground, snorting and pawing the ground as it pointed its antlers toward us.

I held my hand out for Kid and the wolves to stand down. Kid looked a little confused, but lowered his pistols as I grinned at him. I knew what I was doing.

I slowly approached the beast. As it tried to headbutt me, I grabbed it by its antlers and forced it to the ground. It struggled to get free as I kept a firm hold on its antlers, straddling it to keep it within my grasp.

I quickly jerked its head around, snapping its neck as its body stilled under me. I released my hold on it and stood up, stepping over the lifeless corpse.

Kid smiled at me as I walked over to him. "You never cease to amaze me."

I grinned. "Am I that entertaining?"

"Yes, you are. I could watch you all day."

I giggled and pecked his lips before climbing onto one of my wolves. Kid climbed on another and we rode them back toward camp.

The others were still gone, so I made a fire and we all sat down and ate. Looking at the clear sky, I realized tonight would be a good night to see the northern lights.

As we finished our meal, the others soon arrived. Sitting down with us, Maka let out a sigh.

"That arctic fox monster was pretty annoying. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad Blackstar was there."

Blackstar jumped in front of us. "WAHOO! TOO BAD YOU GUYS WEREN'T THERE TO SEE ME BEING SUCH A BIG STAR! HAHAHA!"

I rolled my eyes as the others began eating by the fire. "Well, that's four down, one Alpha to go."

Kid looked at me and asked, "Do you know how to find the last one?"

I gulped at the memory and shook my head. "I don't. I've only seen the fifth Alpha a couple of times. This one will be tricky to find, that's for sure."

It grew quiet as the others finished eating. We all headed into our tents for the evening. I kept an eye out for when it got completely dark.

I poked my head out of the tent, seeing the aurora lighting up the night sky. I looked back inside as Kid questioned me.

"What are you looking at?"

"Come see for yourself."

He poked his head out alongside mine. His eyes grew wide as he looked at the sky. I noticed the others had also gotten a glimpse and were sitting outside of their tents to see it.

I quietly asked Kid, "You want to get a better view?"

He nodded with a smile. I grabbed his hand and led him as we snuck away from camp. I took him to a small hill, sitting him down beside me in the snow.

"Isn't it beautiful, Kid? The aurora borealis, or northern lights, is only visible on the clearest of nights."

Kid looked at me. "It is. It's almost as beautiful as you are."

I scooted closer to him as he wrapped an arm around me. I kissed his lips and he quickly responded by kissing me back.

As I pulled away, I laid my head against his shoulder. I felt his head rest against mine as we gazed up at the colorful sky. After a bit, we snuck back to our tent, going to bed for the rest of the night.