Chapter 8

Sleep.

It's the body's way of restoring energy.

But not for me. For me sleep consists of nightmares that seem so real.

Nightmares that show my parents bodies lying in the car with glass in their faces. And then a pair of bright red eyes.

I wake up screaming again. This needs to stop. I can't keep screaming and waking up Stiles and my uncle. It's not fair. This is why I wanted to live on my own. I mean I don't have the money but I'd find it. But if I lived alone I wouldn't wake people up with my screams. My uncle comes in and sits on the edge of my bed. I've stopped screaming but I've got tears welling in my eyes. I let them go. I want to tell my uncle that I feel like a burden and that I want to go and live alone. But he wouldn't believe it for a second. He pulls me in for a hug while I cry into his shoulder.

"I'm really sorry. I can't help it the dreams seem so real and I feel like screaming is the only way I can bring myself back to reality. But I forget I'm living with you and Stiles and it isn't fair for you."

"Mackenzie. Stiles used to have nightmares and panic attacks and he screamed at night too after his mother died. I helped him through it. I'll help you through it."

I smile at him and he leaves and gestures for Stiles to follow him. One they've left and closed the door I climb onto the roof looking over the woods. I feel a cool breeze and then I feel an arm wrap around my waist. I turn to see Derek. I lean my head into his shoulder.

"I'm guessing you heard me screaming?"

"Yeah. For your nightmares try and use an Anchor."

I smile and look out over the woods again.

"I like it up here. When I'm up high I feel like I can leave responsibility and fear and reality behind and just enjoy the height."

He looks at me.

"I never took you for the sort of person who would go for heights."

"Oh I love them. The morning I attacked the Alpha I was up high in a tree. I felt the surge of anger instead of fear because I was up high."

I start to climb down from the roof with Derek following me. I climb into my room through my window and sit on my bed. I don't think I can sleep again tonight.

"I can stay. If you want?"

"Yeah. Please."

He sits on my bed in front of me and takes my hand in his.

"Your uncle's right. He'll help you through this."

"I know he will. It's just I always feel like a burden. It's just before I came back here I lived with my grandmother. She ended up in a care home because one day I screamed about my nightmares all night long. She came to see me and ended up going crazy. I told her about my nightmares. She couldn't cope with it. It's funny I was the one going out of my mind and having nightmares and screaming every night and She couldn't cope. Her doctors told me she went crazy and was only talking about someone screaming. All she could hear was screaming. I couldn't stand the fact I mad her go insane. After I moved I thought about ending it again. I kept my problems to myself. My father was a main one. The pain helped for a few days but the only thing that stopped me from ending it was you. The thought that I would see you again."

I look anywhere but his eyes. I'm afraid of what I'll see in them.

Disgust?...

Sympathy?...

I don't want it. I'm already living with the fact people think I'm insane I don't need their sympathy as well. Derek tilts my chin up so I have to look at him. I look at his green eyes and melt into them. A tear rolls down my cheek. He wipes it away.

"You're a strong person. And I love you for that. But you can't keep pushing people away and building walls."

"Derek I can't always help it. It's an instinct. My father hurt me before anyone ever could. I build walls to protect myself. I don't open up to people like I do with you. So if I open up to you you're special to me."

He kisses me and I feel the empty pit in my tummy fill up. He pulls me onto his lap. I want him. I want him so bad. But I'm not ready to do this. Not with anyone. I don't want to go to fast. His hands slip under my top and run up my sides feeling my curves.

"Do you want to?" I hear his voice through our mind link.

"I'm not sure. I don't want to go to fast. I don't know if I'm ready."

I'm not lying. But God I want him. I don't know what it is but the instinct to become one with him is strong. He pulls away and looks in my eyes. He smiles. It's small but a small smile from Derek Hale is a smile nonetheless.

"I'm sorry. I'm... Im just not ready yet." I say this time not using the mind link.

"It's okay. I don't want to rush you. I don't want to make you feel like you have to do something you don't want to do."

I smile at him and then realise I'm still sat on his lap. I get off his lap and then he takes off his jacket.

He slides in next to me and pulls me into him. I lie my head on his chest and place on of my hands on his chest as well. I feel the warmth underneath his shirt. He kisses my forehead. I find an Anchor, its Derek, and hold onto it. Well it's more like its holding me but whatever. Soon sleep takes me.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Hey loves!

Comment, Vote, Share

~ Megan 💞