Chapter 37

Derek's POV

I'm lying in bed wide awake, listening to the rain pound on the window. Mackenzie's asleep in my arms. She's disappointed in herself for killing someone, that's something she never wanted to do. Thunder cracks outside, Mackenzie doesn't even flinch. Suddenly the loft's alarm goes off. I sit up and see Mackenzie sit up quickly. 

"Kenz." I say to her. 

I get out of bed and take the gun from the table next to my bed. I hear Kenzie get out of bed and turn to see her in one of my shirts. I scan the loft holding my gun out. Mackenzie does the same with her claws outgrown. I turn to her and she jerks her head towards the door. I slowly walk towards it with her close behind me. She gestures for me to open it. I slide the door open and Kenzie stands near it ready to attack. I move next to her and lift my gun only to see a soaked Lydia. She looks up and screams.

Mackenzie's POV

Derek, who's sitting on the couch in the loft, slides the red bag filled with the money back towards the standing Scott. I'm sitting on the chair next to the desk, watching them carefully. 

"Okay." Derek simply states. 

"Don't you want to know why I took so long to return it?" Scott asks completely dumbfounded. 

"How much do you make at the animal clinic?" Derek questions Scott. 

"Minimum wage." Scott answers. 

"That's why. Everyone can be tempted Scott. Even a True Alpha." 

"You're not angry?" Scott questions. 

"It's not even mine. It belongs to Peter." 

"Where's your money?" Scott asks him. 

Derek stretches his hand out and says, 

"You're standing on it." 

Scott looks down, 

"There's another vault!?" He asks excitedly. 

Derek laughs. 

"I own the building. And I have my own bank accounts. All the money from the vault was Peter's. I actually think we'll be better off if the rest never came back." 

He reaches forwards and takes the bag and zips it up. There is silence as he looks up to Scott and notices the look on his face, as do I. 

"I know Lydia was here last night." 

I stand up and slide the chair back and walk to the window looking out it. I sense them both looking at me but I brush them off. I look down to my stomach, and rub my hand in a circle around the baby. 

"Deaton's still working on figuring out what Kate did to you. And if anyone can find answers it's him." Scott continues. 

"I hope you're right." Derek says.

-----------------

Derek and I are in my room back at my uncle's house. I wanted to be alone, but Derek being Derek, followed me here. 

"How come you wanted to be alone?" Derek asks me from his spot on my bed. 

I push some of my hair behind my ear. 

"To think about things." 

I walk to my desk and run my fingers over a diary that's sitting on it. I look into the mirror. It's still broken from the time I smashed it when Derek and I broke up for the first time.