Chapter 36

Parrish outstretches his hands and Derek takes them. He flips them over, studying them. We're all stood in a circle in the loft and by we I mean Derek, Scott, Lydia, Parrish and myself. We're trying to figure out what Parrish is. Parrish looks at Scott who looks to Derek. 

"He covered you in gasoline?" Derek questions, causing Parrish to nod. 

The other night one of the other deputies put Parrish in a car and set him on fire. Which, if done to a normal person, should kill them. And the only thing about Parrish is that he's perfectly fine. 

"It's the hair and nails isn't it? The parts of the body that are actually dead." Lydia questions. 

"Well they should be gone." Scott tells us.

"I was set on fire. All of me should be gone." Parrish remarks. 

"Not if you're like us." Scott says, 

"Like you?" 

"I don't think he's like us." Derek says. 

"Then what the hell is he?" I ask. 

"Sorry, but I have no idea." Derek says, then places an arm around my waist. 

My arms are crossed over my chest. Well they sit more on top of my stomach. 

"You knew about Jackson and Kira. Why not him?" I question turning my head to look at him, 

"This is a little out of my experience. There might be something in the beastiary. Did you try Argent?" 

"I don't know where he is." Scott answers. 

"Okay, hold on. What's a beastiary?" 

I raise my eyebrows, that shouldn't even be his first question. 

"Actually, that's not even my first question. Just tell me one thing. Are all of you like Lydia?" 

There's silence so he adds, 

"Are all of you psychic?" 

Scott, Derek and I share a look. Derek raises his eyebrows, 

"Psychic?" he repeats, 

"Yeah." 

"Not exactly." Scott says, 

"Okay then. What are you?" 

Scott looks at Derek who just raises his hands in defeat. 

"Show him." 

I look to Parrish as does Scott. I blink and my eyes glow the ruby red of a True Alpha, only mine are a little duller. 

"Scott and I, we're something of a rarity."

----------------

"What's a Kanima?" Parrish questions. 

We sat him down and told him about the supernatural and about who's what. 

"We'll get back to that. Just know that everyone like us- everyone with some kind of supernatural ability- is on the dead pool." 

"But I don't even know what I am." Parrish states. 

"I'm pretty sure they don't care." Derek states. 

I'm sitting on the chair by the desk, it's tiring carrying my own body weight plus another life. 

"How many professional killers are we talking about?" Parrish asks. 

"We're starting to lose count." Lydia answers, 

"But is it still just professionals?" I ask, looking at Derek from my seat.