Epilogue

The leaves beneath my feet crunch as I step on them. It's late autumn. Winter will be here soon. I stop once I get to the place I wanted to be. I kneel down and clear the frost collecting on the headstone.

The headstone reads:

In loving memory of:

Florence Low and Henry Low

Father, Son.

Mother, Sister, Daughter.

This is the first time I've been to my parent's grave since the accident around six years ago. I put my hand on the headstone and picture the fun times I used to have with both of them. I hear someone approach me. I look up to see the minister of the church. I haven't been to church, but somehow the minister knows who I am.

"Good afternoon Minister."

"Good afternoon Mackenzie. And please call me Jack."

He takes a seat next to me. We sit in silence for a while. It's not an awkward silence. It's comfortable. Eventually I turn to him.

"Jack? I'm curious. I haven't come to church in the six years I've been here. Yet you know so much about me and my family. I just wanted to know, how?"

Jack laughs,

"I knew a question like this would be asked eventually. You were bound to notice."

He looks me in the eye and begins to explain.

"I have an old friend back in Beacon Hills where you came from. His name is Allan Deaton. I believe he owns a veterinary centre there."

I nod,

"You believed correctly. I used to work there."

"Well, he came into contact with me not long after you arrived here with your family. He told me about you, said you were the True Alpha. Allan has always been able to trust me. And well naturally he came to me to ask that I keep an eye on your family."

I turn to look at the church.

"The walls are lined with mountain ash. Aren't they?"

He nods,

"But a special kind. A kind that can create sanctuary for the supernatural. Deaton told me about how you fought with the Alpha pack. I will tell you the same thing I told him. You and your family will be safe and welcome in my church. I will give you safety when you feel threatened."

I look at him and smile.

"Thank you. I'm probably going to need that support."

He gets up,

"I'll leave you alone to your parents now."

I smile at him,

"Thank you."

He nods and walks back into the church.

After maybe another hour of sitting at my parent's grave I decide to go home. I open the door to my home and hear the sound of pattering feet and then,

"Mommy!"

I walk in and shut the door then bend down to allow my six year old daughter to run into my arms. I stand up and then hear,

"Mamma."

I see my four year old son run up to me. I lift him up and let him hug me. Lia hugs my leg, she's up to my hip in height so I can easily rest my hand on the top of her head.