Chapter 35

I'm sat on the couch in the loft. It's empty, Derek left earlier to go do something, I'm not sure what. Anyway I'm halfway through the book when there's a knock at the door. I slide it open and look to the person. I see brown hair and blue eyes just like mine. 

"Mackenzie?" I shudder at the voice. 

It's deeper but still recognisable. 

"Ellis." He smiles, I don't. 

I tell him to come in and I walk to the bed and sit at the top while Ellis sits and the end of it. 

"It's a nice place you've got here." 

I look around. 

"It's not mine." 

He nods and closes the conversation. We sit in silence for a while. The longer the silence gets the more afraid I become. 

"Mackenzie. How are you?" 

"Despite the fact that my brother just showed up after 15 years, I'm great." Sarcasm lacing my tone. 

"Let me guess you got the sarcasm from Stiles? How is he? The little cuz?" 

I look at him, 

"You really wanna ask that? The last time you saw him he was two." 

He nods. 

"So where's mom and dad?" 

Something snaps. Yeah I've had enough time to grieve over my mother's death, my father I didn't grieve for. But the way he can come here talking about them like he's seen them his whole life. 

"Who my mother? And the man who walked out on us? They're dead." I say with no emotion. 

He moves to hug me but I push him away, 

"What the hell is wrong with you little sis?" 

I raise my eyebrow at him, 

"Did you really just call me that? Little sis? That's one I haven't heard since you left." I scoff, then sigh. 

"Why do you care what's wrong with me? You've never once tried to find me or reach out to me. Why now?" 

"I was staying with some friends who live not that far away from here, they had heard that the sheriff's niece was back in town. I thought the time was right to find you." 

"You thought the time was right? Really?" 

He nods. 

"I remember you tried to reach out to me a few years ago." 

I shake my head. 

"No, that was a twelve year old looking for her brother who she needed more than anyone. You have no idea what I was going through at that time. With dad leaving and remembering all the times I cried myself to sleep. Or the days after you left where I would sit by the door waiting for you to come back from school. When I turned twelve things got worse. I tried to find ways to cope, but nothing helped." 

I pull my knees up well as much as the baby will allow. 

"But you had those kids from that family. What were they called again? Oh yeah the Hales." 

"Derek and Cora were better family to me than you ever were." 

 I see anger cross his eyes. 

"Why did you leave?" 

He looks at me and his eyes soften. 

"It's complicated, you wouldn't believe me if I told you."