prologue

SIRIUS ORION BLACK OF twelve Grimmauld Place hated the sound of his mother's voice. No, not hated it, he absolutely loathed it; especially if it's before ten o'clock in the morning. Unfortunately for Sirius, on a clear sunny morning where he planned to sleep in, it was the very first thing he heard.

"Sirius Orion Black!" he heard his mother yell, "Come down here this instant." Sirius groaned before yelling out annoyed, "What is it mother?"

"Can you just come down here." Walburga Black, his mother, yelled out and she was clearly aggravated. As Sirius lived for annoying his mother, he rolled his eyes before yelling out, "If it's just errands, Regulus can do it. He's a big boy now." sarcastically.

"Just get down here, please." The last word shocked Sirius as his mother never used the word 'please' around anyone in their family. He had a feeling his mother didn't even know what it means. He descended down the stairs, an odd look plastered onto his features from his mother's use of the word. He looked at her with his eyebrows raised and nose scrunched.

"Faster will you? And why on earth are you looking at me like that?" His mother asks sternly. Sirius sped up his pace and stood in front of his mother.

"Who are you and what have you done to my mother?" Sirius asked, a look of fake concern etched on his face.

Walburga groaned in annoyance as she asked, "What on earth are you going on about boy?"

"You just said please."

"Yes. Do you have a problem with that? Merlin knows someone in this family should have some manners." She replies, glaring at him with her arms crossed and eyebrows furrowed. "Nothing, mother. It's just weird." Sirius replies.

"What do you want anyways?" He asked her, a blank look replaced the one of fake concern on his face, boredom and annoyance now lacing his tone.

"Well, we have new neighbors." Walburga said, her tone changing as she smiled brightly.

"And so?" Sirius asks, not sure where on earth this conversation was heading.

"They're wizards!" Walburga said excitedly. Sirius' eyebrows rose. Wizards, huh? Maybe they'll have a kid who will start Hogwarts this year as well, at least I'll have someone to talk to. Merlin knows I'm not communicating with my cousins, what if he's into all that pure blood supremacy stuff? Sirius thought.

However, his train of thought was interrupted by a knock on the door. His mother straightened and smoothed out the nonexistent creases on her dress as she pulled Sirius behind her and opened the door.

"Hi! We just moved in next-"

"Blood status?" His mother immediately asks. Sirius held back a groan and rolled his eyes.

Count on mother to immediately ask someone that. How did she even know they were wizards? What is she going to do when they are not pureblood, kick them out of the neighborhood? Sirius thought bitterly.

"Pureblood." He hears someone reply proudly. "You?"

"Pure, as well." Sirius swore he could hear his mother smile in reply. "Why don't you come in?"

"Why, thank you." Sirius heard as a woman stepped into their house. The woman looked like she was in her early thirties. She had fair, porcelain skin, bright green eyes and light hazel colored hair that fell just above her shoulders. She was tall and thin, and towered over Sirius' mother. She had a casual elegance surrounding and radiating off from her, it was hard not to stare in awe. Even Sirius' mother was slightly taken aback by the way the woman carried herself, and she didn't even look like she was trying.