06: A Heart to Heart

ARABELLA VISIBLY SHIVERED UNDERNEATH her thin gray cardigan, causing Sirius to snicker under his breath. It was a windy afternoon and most of the Hogwarts students were taking advantage of this weather as most of them were outside.

Arabella pulled her cardigan closer together as she walked with Sirius to the black lake. "Don't laugh, it's not like I knew it was going to be this windy." she said, rolling her eyes at Sirius.

Sirius laughed even more and took of his scarf, placing it on Arabella's shoulders. She gave him a perplexed look. "Wouldn't want my best friend getting cold now would I?" he winked.

Arabella just shook her head lightly and adjusted Sirius' scarf around her neck. As they reached the black lake, they sat under the tree where they and the other Marauders would usually sit. 

"So what's going on in the life of the great Arabella Arroway?" Sirius asked once they sat down. he put his arm around her as she snuggled a bit closer to him.

"Well, you're not usually one for small talk." she tells him, slightly surprised.

"I haven't seen you in a while. You're always studying or with Evans. You never prank with me and James anymore. Hell, Moony sees you even more than I do." Sirius huffed, crossing his arms.

Arabella turns to look at him, one eyebrow raised. "Oh my are you jealous?" she laughs.

"No, of course I'm  not. It's just I rarely get to hang out with you anymore. I just miss my best friend, you know?" he says, looking down.

Arabella's facial expression softens. "I'm sorry, Sirius. But it's not all on me. Whenever I try and hang out with you, you're always with Vanessa."

"Well, she is my girlfriend."

"Yeah, I know that." Arabella sighs, moving away slightly and turning to face him. 

"Don't you like her?" Sirius asks, his head tilted slightly.

"She's alright." Arabella responds, looking at everything but Sirius. She didn't have the heart to to tell him how he really felt about Vanessa. In fact, she's been Sirius' longest lasting relationship. When they first started dating she made a bet with the other Marauders that they would only last a couple of weeks. They've now been together for more than a couple of months. 

"You really like her huh?" she asks.

"Yeah. I do." he replies, a small smile on his face.

Well, that's good enough for me. Arabella thought.

"Just try to make some time for us, okay? You don't always have to be with her." Arabella smiles. 

"Okay, I promise." Sirius smiles back and opens his arms out for a hug and Arabella graciously accepts. Once they've broken apart, "So what about you, Belle. Interested in anyone at the moment?"

"Oh no." Arabella said, frantically shaking her head.

"Come on, Belle. Hogwarts is filled with dashing young gentlemen. Someone's bound to get your attention." Sirius said, nudging Arabella lightly.

"No one's even come close." She replies laughing.

"Come on. Moony is pretty good looking." Sirius suggests.

"No, that would be like dating my brother." Arabella replies, shaking her head.

"Prongs?"

"Same with Moony. Besides, he's already spoken for."

"Frank Longbottom?"

"Doesn't he have a girlfriend?"

----

FROM AFAR, A GIRL in Gryffindor robes watches as the two best friends embrace underneath a tree near the black lake. Her eyes narrowed with anger as she crosses her arms.

"So, what are you going to do about it V?" her friend asks her.

Vanessa's eyes stay still on the spot where Sirius and Arabella are. Slowly, her mouth forms into a smirk. "Well, it's time to show Arroway and her friends just exactly who Sirius belongs to."

----

"LUCIUS MALFOY?" Sirius asked, a horrified look on his face. The sun was about to set and Sirius still continued to ask Arabella who she might be interested in.

"Don't like his attitude." 

"Snivellous?"

"No. Come let's go back. I'm pretty sure you've mentioned every single boy in Hogwarts already." Arabella said standing up and offering her hand to Sirius, helping him stand.

Sirius continued to think, "Marlene McKinnon?"

"Merlin, no. I don't swing that way." she laughs.

"Well, I'm not stopping til I find out who you like." Sirius huffs.

"Good luck with that." 

______

hello! hope you enjoy this part. please let me know what you think of the story so far in the comments and if you liked it enough, give it a vote. it helps me know if you like it or not haha. anyway, i'll see ya soon.

-arielle