26: The Beginning of the End

JUNE 18, 1978 
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, 7:00 pm

"ONE MORE PICTURE PLEASE, Ara dear." Alessandra Arroway said, pleading to her daughter and to four of her closest friends. Arabella shook her head slightly but agreed nonetheless. She sent a look to her friends, silently asking them if it was okay, they smiled and nodded. Peter Pettigrew stood at the leftmost part of the picture, a smile on his face with one arm around Remus Lupin's shoulders. Remus had a small, satisfied smile on his face, his arms around Peter and Arabella's shoulders. James was in the rightmost part, his picture catching his face while he was in mid-laugh, looking at his friends and not the camera. Arabella Arroway stood in the middle and beside her was her boyfriend of two years, Sirius Black. They looked at each other with huge grins on their faces. Pure happiness and elation was on everyone's faces, they had just graduated from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"Finally! After seven years, we are done!" James exclaimed, pumping his fist in the air. Sirius, Peter, Remus, and Arabella laughed at how dramatic he was, causing James to roll his eyes at them but he had a small smile on his face.

"What are you planning to do?" Alessandra asked the five, looking at then with an expectant smile.

"Aurors." James, Sirius, and Arabella said at the same time, laughing when they realized they had done so.

Alessandra nodded approvingly, "What about you Remus? Peter?"

"I don't know." Remus said, shrugging lightly. "Maybe I'll become a teacher here. I've always wanted to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts."

"I'm not sure either, I'm still on the fence about it." Peter said nonchalantly.

"Well, I'm glad most of you know what you wand and have some sort of inkling of what they want." Alessandra said, avoiding eye-contact with Peter. She didn't know why, but she had a bit of an uncomfortable feeling about him. "Are you guys ready to leave? Your post graduation celebratory dinner is going to get cold."

"While I would never want to miss your cooking Mrs Arroway, but I think we are going to take one last look at the castle." Sirius said, looking around with a small smile. James, Peter, Remus, and Arabella nodded in agreement.

"Alright," Alessandra said nodding. "Congratulations to you five again."

The five said goodbye to Alessandra, she gave Sirius and Arabella a hug and asked them to be at the Arroway house soon for dinner. 

"I'm going to miss this place." Arabella sighed in sadness, shaking her head and trying to prevent the tears from pouring out.

"So am I." Remus agreed, slightly teary-eyed as well. 

The Marauders found themselves at their old Transfiguration classroom, looking at their old desks and the various writing on the blackboards. 

"I thought I would find you five here."

The five jumped in shock when they heard the addition of a new voice. The five turned around towards the door to find none other than Albus Dumbledore. 

"Oh! I'm so sorry sir!" Arabella said nervously. "We're just about to leave."

"That will not be necessary, Ms Arroway. Take all the time you need to reminisce of your old school years." Dumbledore said with a weary smile, "However, it does not do one well to keep on dwelling on the past."

The five nodded, not quite sure how they were off the hook.

"I must ask you one thing," Dumbledore said, turning to leave them.