09: Lost Friends

DAYS TURNED INTO WEEKS without Arabella Arroway and Sirius Black talking to each other. Saying that it was driving the rest of the Marauders crazy was an absolute understatment and it wasn't just them. Almost the entire school was wondering why the infamous best friends weren't talking to each other. They were so used to seeing the two together that seeing one without the other almost felt weird and uneasy.

What made everyone wonder what was happening is why James, Peter, and Remus were always seen with Arabella but almost never with Sirius. In fact, they wondered where Sirius even was.

That question of 'where is Sirius Black' would be looming around their heads for a few minutes until they see a couple furiously making out in the corner.

The only times that the rest of the Marauders saw Sirius for longer than thirty minutes was to help Remus with monthly transformations. However, once dawn struck and Remus was back to his human self, he was gone.

"I don't know, Lily. Maybe it is all my fault." a distressed Arabella said to Lily Evans one cold afternoon.

"Don't say that Ara. You tried your hardest. If he doesn't come around and talk to you it's his loss, not yours." Lily said, smiling.

"Thanks Lil. I really needed that." Arabella said sighing, looking down and shaking her head.

The two girls continued walking around the Hogwarts grounds in silence. Their peaceful trance was broken when they heard laughing and cheering in the direction of the Whomping Willow. They jogged over and saw the last thing they expected to see.

James, Sirius, Peter, Remus, and Snape.

However, Severus Snape was hanging upside down, revealing his underwear in front of a number of students. The marauders, clearly being the ones responsible for this as they laughed along with the rest of the students, even throwing a few insults in his way.

"POTTER! Stop that." Lily said, walking over to where the Marauders were.

"Oh, lighten up Evans." Sirius said laughing as he watch Severus floating up in the air. "We're just having a little fun."

"Well, you're type of fun doesn't seem to be all that nice." Lily huffed, "Now, Potter put him down. What has he ever done to you?"

"Besides the fact that he's a slimy git." James said laughing, Sirius and Peter chuckling alongside him.

Arabella stayed still, unable to move or speak. It was as if she wasn't fully comprehending her surroundings, unable to believe, refusing to believe, that her friends would do something like this.

"Will you just stop that Potter!" Lily yelled, pushing James making him lose control over his want and putting Snape down.

"You're no fun Evans." Peter huffed.

"Alright everyone, show's over." Remus said, attempting to shoo the way the audience that had formed. All of them leaving with an annoyed huff.

"You're lucky that Evans was here to help you." James scoffed, looking at Severus disgusted.

Severus attempting to save what little dignity he had left, stood up and said "I don't need help from a filthy, little mudblood like her!"

Lily's eyes widened and she attempted to hold back her tears, "Fine! I guess I won't help in the future then." Lily turned around and made her way back to the castle.

"No! Lily! Hold on, I didn't mean it!" Severus screamed.

"Nice save there Snape." Sirius laughed, Peter James, and Remus chuckled beside him as well.

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF MERLIN IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" a furious Arabella stomped to where they were. The Marauders turned in shock, surprised that she was there all along.

"You four!" She said, facing Sirius and the rest of the marauders.

"You promised me that you wouldn't do this to Snape. Don't you dare say sorry to me because I'm not the one you did this to. You humiliated him in front of a lot of people. This little prank of yours has gone way too far!" Arabella scolded.

"James, how could you? and you, Remus? I expected better from you." Arabella sighed as Remus hung his head down in shame. "You too, Peter. You were a part of this as well. I don't know what to say to the three of you right now."

"Sirius. You are my best friend but I don't know if I can do this anymore. You don't talk to me, you ditch me for your girlfriend, and you play a prank on the one person I asked you not to prank." Arabella said sadly.

Sirius rolled his eyes at this. "Some friend you are."

"Pardon?"

"You heard me. You don't talk to me for weeks and now that you are, you're scolding me for some harmless little prank. Some best friend you are." Sirius said crossing his arms.

"Then I guess we're not friends anymore." Arabella's words shocked all of them, including herself. She never thought she would have to say those words to anyone, let alone Sirius. His eyes were flashed with hurt as Arabella said those words, but it was quickly replaced with a cold, emotionless stare.

"I guess we're not." Sirius replied, staring her down.

"Come on guys, let's talk about this." Remus said quickly, trying to get the two friends to rethink their decision.

"Yeah! We're supposed to be friends!" James said exasperatedly, waving his hands trying to prove his point.

None of it seemed to work as the two just stared each other down.

Arabella turned to Severus, "I don't even know what to say to you. How could you call Lily that? Especially after she just defended you."

Severus just sighed, "Look, Arabella, I'm really so-"

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to." Arabella said, cutting him off, "And frankly, I don't think 'sorry' is gonna cut it."

Arabella walked away and headed back to the castle, attempting to hold back the tears that were very close to falling.

_____

ARABELLA BROKE down as soon as she had entered the walls of her dormitory. Lily Evans walked over to where she was curled up and sat next to her. And there in that moment the two friends did nothing but hold each other as they cried over the friends that they had just lost.

_____

2 updates in 2 days? i can't believe it either! haha. anyways let me know what you think down in the comments and give this part a vote if u think this chapter was worth it.

lots of love and i'll see ya when i see ya,

-arielle

ps. [shameless self promo ahead]

i just made a new wattpad account where i will be posting non-fanfic stories (short stories mostly) so give that a follow if you want to read more stuff from me. love u guys! 

@heyarijune