22: Stephen Jones

SIRIUS BLACK THOUGHT NOTHING of it at first. Arabella could have other friends other than him, James, Remus, Peter, and Evans. It wasn't like he owned her or anything, she could live her life as she pleased.

He thought nothing of it until he realized they were spending too much time together.

Stephen Jones was a Hufflepuff in their year that up until this week, Arabella had only spoken to at most five times during their years at Hogwarts. Wherever Sirius would turn he would see them.

In the library? There they are. Great hall? There too.

It was bright Saturday afternoon and most Hogwarts students were outside enjoying the weather. Except for Sirius Black who was in the library, sitting a few tables away from Stephen and Arabella.

Seeing them laughing as they were hunched over a book practically drove Sirius insane. Arabella clearly oblivious towards his flirting attempts and brushed it off as nothing. Sirius wasn't as oblivious. He balled his hands into fists when he saw him slowly moving their chairs closer. He wanted to go over there, march over and tell him that Arabella was his. But she wasn't his. He didn't have the right to do so.

Sirius Black wasn't one for suffering in silence. But when he saw Arabella laughing at Stephen's futile attempt at a joke, it felt like he didn't have a choice. Stephen wasn't doing anything wrong. At least not yet.

"What the hell Sirius?"

Sirius jumped at the sound of Remus Lupin's voice. Sirius turned to see him, his arms crossed and his eyebrows furrowed; looming over him with a confused expression.

"What are you doing here?" Remus asked again. Sirius didn't have to answer. All Remus had to do was look a few feet away from where he was standing, a quiet 'oh' left his mouth as he took in what he saw.

"I see." Remus nodded.

"What are you doing?" Sirius asked when Remus took a seat next to him.

"Accompanying you."

"Why?"

"Why not?" Remus said, his eyebrow raised. "Besides, you might do something incredibly stupid."

"Do you not have faith in me Moony?" Sirius asked, a hand over his chest in mock hurt.

"No, I don't." Remus replied frankly, a small teasing smile on his lips.

"Gee, thanks." Sirius replied, rolling his eyes. "Where are James and Peter?"

"Oh, we split up trying to look for you." Remus shrugged.

"Aren't you going to find them and tell them that I'm here? Or at least somehow send a message?" Sirius asked, focusing his eyes back on Stephen and Arabella instead of Remus.

"They'll figure it out." Remus said, shrugging again.

"Why were you looking for me anyway?"

"Well, in case you haven't noticed." Remus said, turning slightly in his seat to look at Sirius. "It's a really nice day and everyone's outside."

"Almost everyone." Sirius corrected, nodding towards Stephen and Arabella.

"Almost everyone is outside. We just wanted to see if you wanted to play a prank or something."