Chapter 9

Cana's P.O.V.

"They told you I was what?" Acalia asks, standing before me, a shocked expression on her face. 

"After you left, we tried to contact you. I went back to the orphanage to visit but they said you couldn't be contacted." I whisper, tears still streaming. "We sent hundreds of letters. But none were returned." 

She stands in shock. 

She looks so different now. The happiness and life that filled her eyes years ago are gone, replaced with a wild saddened look. She stands, in away that her cloak disappears into the shadows. Her posture is defensive. Bows and ribbons she always wore around the waist of dresses, is now replaced with a leather belt, two daggers sheathed at the side. Her guarded expression fell when I told her of the news. 

She nods, looking into my eyes. 

For the first time I realize the long scar slashed across her eye. The whites of her right eye glows ghostly white and is transparent, like glass or ice. 

"Acalia... What in the world happened to your eye?" I ask her, my fingers reaching out to the cut.

She backs away, subconsciously covering her eye with her fingers.

"Um... Nothing." She says quietly turning around, her cloak spreading around her. I catch a glimpse of the Fairy Tail emblem on her hip. I smile. 

Acalia's eyes gaze up to the sky. The bright sun that shinned in the clear blue sky is now in the distant east, setting slowly, the moon and stars rising in the west. 

"I have to go." She mutters, climbing back into the tree. 

I nod as I see her leap from tree to tree, branch to branch, disappearing into the dark forest. 

Gray's P.O.V

I walk out of the guild, feeling a bit disappointed. Acalia and I agreed that we would meet each other in front of the guild door gates at 9:00. It's 10:30. Maybe she doesn't have a watch or anything. 

I walk the cobblestone paths in front of Lucy's house. I can see her and Natsu from the window. Arguing. 

"NATSU!!!! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" she yells, throwing her hands up in anger.

I chuckle softly continuing the walk to my house. 

I hear shuffling around me. I stop walking and look around. In the corner of my eye, I see a dark figure moving along the rooftops. 

I put my fist together, ready for any attack. 

"Hey Gray." I hear beside me. 

I jump and turn around. Acalia Lyall. She always arrives quietly, through the shadows. 

I harden my gaze onto he rooftops for any attackers. 

"Did you see anyone on the roof when you were coming?" I ask her, my eyes still searching the empty paths.

I hear her quietly laugh beside me. "That might have been me." She says.

I feel my face turn red at my failure. 

Thank god it's dark. 

I lower my hands and walk down the street, Acalia beside me. 

"So... you're a dragon slayer, huh?" I ask, trying to make a conversation like before. 

I find myself muttering "Ice. Ice. Ice. Ice.". 

What the fuck is wrong with me?

"Yeah and you're an ice mage." She says, talking louder than she did at the guild with the team.

I nod. 

"We could probably make a good team, you and I. You know, water and ice..." I say without thinking, and immediately regret it.

Gray. Stop. Don't. Talk.

I hear her laugh softy beside me and I dare myself to look. 

On her face is a smile. She looks like a different person. Her eyes aren't filled with the sadness or a look of wildness. She catches me staring and I look away, my face hot.

We walk the rest of the way in silence. 

We arrive to my place, a house in the east of Magnolia, near the mountains that boarder the town. 

There's a small ravine behind the house, and the mountains are covered with a blanket of snow. 

I open the door, letting her in. 

Acalia's P.O.V

Gray opens the door and I step in. A cold breeze hits my face. I smile. It reminds me of the small cabin house I stayed in when I trained in the mountains.

"Come on." Gray calls as he walks past me. 

I walk farther into the house, expecting it to be messy and unclean, but as I walk into the living space, my mouth slightly opens in surprise. 

It's spotlessly clean, looking like winter with a clean sheet of snow, that not a finger had touched. I look out his back window and see the tall mountain peaks in the background. 

Gray step before me and opens the windows letting the cold wind in, the curtains dancing around the wooden frame.

I look around the space. A T.V hangs in the middle of the wall, a white long couch facing it. A dinning space sits in the middle of a space with glass walls encasing around it. 

"Here. Catch." he says throwing me a sleeping bag, catching me off guard. 

I catch it with one hand. 

"It's beautiful here." I say facing Gray. 

He smiles, and I feel something I have never felt before. A slight flutter in my stomach. 

"Come on, let's go to the mountains." he says, grabbing my hand and running out of the house at midnight.