Partner, Roommate, and Best Friend

Partner~

Being partners, Soul and Maka cared deeply for each other.

Soul didn't have to protect Maka, he wanted to.

Maka didn't have to be partners with Soul, but she wanted to.

Soul didn't have to stay with Maka, but he wanted to.

Maka didn't have to fight alongside Soul, but she wanted to.

They didn't have to be partners, but they wanted to.

Soul sat beside Maka. He recently got news that it was his last week in Death City. Death had told Soul about the opportunity of a life time, going to Brazil and protecting the school in the capital. Another death scythe was already waiting for Soul to arrive and help him out. Soul had declined instantly, in his head, outside he asked Death, in a rude tone, what was in it for him. Death said he would be repaid greatly with money and a mansion near DWMA, the villa where some death scythes, also Kid, lived.

It's been years since Maka defeated the kishin, she turned 26 last month. The pair had finally admitted their feelings at 15 when the Halloween dance was a masquerade theme, they fell in love as they danced with a 'stranger.'

Soul watched as his miester scanned the lines of the pages, she didn't seem to even notice his presence. Soul made a 'ahem' noise as he waited for her to react. Maka continued with her book, eyes darting across the page.

"Maka?"

"Soul." She set her book on her lap and glared at him. "What?" She looked agitated as Soul stared into her eyes. She didn't want to be apart from her book to long, she had just gotten it.

Soul made a very uncool stuttering noise before clearing his throat. "Mind going with me to dinner?" He asked her. She rolled her eyes and nodded before returning to her book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the pair arrived at a restaurant in Death City a awkward aura came off of Soul as he fidgeted across from Maka. She didn't notice the aura at first because she was looking at the menu. Her eyes escaped the delicious appetizers and laid on Soul. His shirt wasn't buttoned up right and his hair was messier than usual. He looked like a mess.

"Soul? You alright?" Maka asked as she placed her hand on his. He jumped a little at her touch but relaxed a second later. "Soul?"

Soul looked at her with hurt eyes as he tried to mutter the unbearable. "We'll always be partners, you know?" Soul started it light. Maka felt uncomfortable at his statement when he didn't look at her. Was he going to leave her? "I, today-I got an offer in Brazil." Yep, there it was. Maka's heart shattered as her weapon reclined his hand from hers. "It's a great place and it's great pay."

"So, what, your doing it for money?" Maka's eyes teared up as she spoke.

"Sort of..." He trailed off. Maka picked herself off the chair and reached for her bag.

"Fine. You want to go to Brazil? Go ahead, I'm not going to stop you." She wiped her eyes and turned her heel. As she headed away from her love she turned her head slightly to mutter a few words she never thought she'd say to Soul, "Your just like Papa."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a year since Soul left. That night, Maka ran to the apartment, slamming her door shut. Soul had pleaded for her to let him in but she never did. He gave up eventually and Maka guessed he left. It was silent except for her heart, which shattered like broken glass.

Maka dragged her feet into the kitchen as she prepared her breakfast for one. Her sulkiness was to awful for the group to bear so she mainly was alone now a days. Her eyes had bags under them from not sleeping, she never slept anymore. Her hair was tangled and greasy.