Chapter 52

Usually, I'd be so relieved when the final bell rang to get me away from having classes all day. Now that exams and such are coming up, I find myself having to stay after to work on revising instead of doing what if rather be: like helping the team out or hanging around with Harry and our friends.

I'd be doing that: well, sort of. 

Staying at school to study instead of being at home was my idea because that way there'd be less distractions. Harry and I were both major distractions to one another.

As I walked to my locker to retrieve my needed notes and course books, I spotted Liam there. It looked like he was waiting for me and, honestly, I found that to be a bit odd. During our morning lesson together he seemed to still be distant and I still didn't understand how someone as compassionate and loyal as Liam was would suddenly become more tense and silent. I've left the topic alone, not wanting to pry into Liam's personal life, even though I had let him pry into my own.

"Hey." I greeted him carefully, trying my best not to give him a look that would make him think I knew something was up with him.

Liam cleared his throat and gave me a small nod. "Are you busy right now?" He asked as he fixed the straps of his schoolbag when he didn't even have to. 

Yeah, busy trying to figure out what's been up with you since the tourney.

I didn't answer right away as I walked up to my locker and focused on not messing up the combination to it. I was terrible at hiding what I was feeling now that I've learned that it wasn't always my best choice to not let my emotions get the best of me.

If the people in my life now taught me anything it would definitely be courage and I was being a frightened idiot around Liam, one of the first friends I've ever had to teach me that trait.

How ironic.

I took a step back so I wasn't ducking my head into my locker anymore, also letting out a silent breath just before I glance me eyes over to look to Liam. His brow was scrunched and I couldn't tell if he was confused or concerned about something. I did my best to really look at him then, hoping I wasn't staring at him too long so he didn't realise that.

I fixed my bag onto my one shoulder, which didn't need the readjusting, before I answered him. "Harry's waiting for me. We're gonna work on studying for exams. You want to join in?"

Liam shook his head, letting out his own breath that I almost couldn't hear. Then he looked down to his feet and my eyes couldn't help but follow.

"Is everything all right with you, Liam?" I asked him. If he needed to talk to me or something I'm sure Harry would understand that I'd be late to meet him.

He gave me a short nod, looking up and then waving me off. "Yeah, go on. I don't want to keep you from studying. We can just meet up after?"

I did my best to give him a convincing smile while my brain attempted to come up with whatever Liam was set on telling me about. I actually was happy that Liam felt like he could come to me if he was bothered. 

"Okay." I answered as steadily as I could. This awkwardness between Liam and I was really strange. We were never like this before.

That's because you were the nervous one.

"You can just ring me up or send me a message later." He offered before giving me a small wave and then turned to walk away.

Once he was far enough away from me I let out a heavy breath of relief that was building up in my chest. I closed my locker and leaned against it, catching myself for a moment before I pushed myself away from it so I could get to the library.