Chapter 54

She noticed. She noticed it right away. I was still surprised how one incident could break my mum out to see every little thing that could possibly be bothering me or upset me. I didn't have to be the one to come up to her and say what I was feeling. She could just tell. 

My mum wasn't intrusive about it or anything. She still gave me time to approach her about whatever was on my mind. That is, if I felt like telling her. 

I had no idea if my mum was interested in hearing all about Liam and my bully being in a relationship. 

You know by now you'll never know if you don't step up.

Like you've said, she surprises you. 

"You've been off and quiet these past few days." She told me once I asked her if I could chat with her about something, that something being my possible fallout with Liam. 

I nodded my head before my lips dipped into a frown, my eyes slowly looking to her and then down to my feet. My lower back was pressed against the edge of the counter top while my mum was sat at the kitchen table, her full attention on me. 

"What's going on, Niall? Are those boys being rude to you again?" She asked with a disappointed shake of her head.

"No, mum." I mumbled my answer to her. I didn't want her to start getting frustrated over all of that. This didn't have anything to do with the previous circumstances. Well, maybe just a bit because it was Louis Tomlinson. He wasn't being rude, to put it mildly, towards me anymore. He just managed to have stolen Liam's heart somehow. 

"I've been hanging around with the lads after school kicking about." I reminded her as I sighed, realizing how many times I've seen the teammates and not Liam. He's been invited numerous times to come around but he's always told us that he was busy with things. Now, I could only guess that he wasn't busy. He was probably choosing Louis over us, even me. He was all for me before.

Jealousy has nothing to do with it. Well, not a lover's jealousy. It's more of a jealousy about the fact Louis gets to be around Liam. Somehow someone who's done plenty of terrible things gets to be with the most kindhearted teenage boy, besides my own boyfriend, that I've met.

I was losing one of my best friends.

"Is it school then? I know I've been putting a lot of my input on your year end exams but they are important. I just want you to succeed." She extended her arm  out to reach for me, also inviting me to sit down with her.

I shook my head, knowing all too well about her reasoning. She was just being a mum, something she had trouble being since her first son grew up and began an extension to our family. Soon enough, I'd be the next one to leave her and she will truly be alone. I hoped our stronger relationship will remain once that happened.

"It's about Liam. You remember him, yeah?" I began, choosing to remain standing because I knew once I was finished with this conversation that I wanted to get out of the house and do something that would take my mind off of Liam being with Louis.

She nodded, sending me a soft smile. I was sure her expression would change soon. "He's your friend, the one who help stand up for you. How could a mother forget someone like that?" She added a quiet chuckle.

I brought my hand to my mouth, my thumb tracing back and forth at my bottom lip. "Well, some of us have noticed that Liam's been acting strange, a bit secretive." I couldn't help the bitter chuckle that came from my throat. He sure had a massive secret that I definitely wasn't expecting to find out about.

I scratched at my jawline, trying to think of a way that I could just tell her about Liam. Telling her this shouldn't be as difficult as telling her about my days of being bullied. It sort of felt the same to me just because I couldn't bring myself to speak Louis' name. I should be able to do that by now since I now feel like Louis was from an entire different lifetime.