Chapter 53

"I knew there was something off with you. I just knew it." Harry told me with a sigh, right after he drove back up to the school and found me standing outside of the school.

Once I managed to told Harry that he could come and pick me up I walked back over to the school. I didn't really want to have to walk back, which meant crossing the field, because I didn't want to have to see Liam and I didn't want him to plead with me to hear him out. It's not that I didn't want to give him the opportunity to explain himself, I just wasn't ready for it. My thoughts were still buzzing around in my head that Liam's been with Louis the entire time he was protecting me from that same person.

How does someone do that to a friend?

How does someone like Liam see something good is someone like Louis?

There were so many questions that I was starting to have about it but I needed time to also process this fact before I could handle any of the answers.

As I approached the field I was thankful that I didn't see Liam there. I guessed that he wasn't going to wait on me. He was usually an expert at knowing when people needed their pace. At least that part of him never changed.

"What's going on with you, Niall?" Harry then asked me, his elbow propped against his window with his head resting against his hand, his fingers lightly gripping at his hair. "You've been doing so well and have been so happy that I don't understand why you sounded so hurt over the phone." He let out another sigh, his free hand rubbing at his eye in frustration. "I was so worried when told me you weren't okay. I thought something bad happened to you, you know like before. Again, I wouldn't have been there for you."

I swallowed and looked down to my lap, my fingers anxiously picking at one another as I tried to calm myself down. I didn't mean to make Harry feel that way and I didn't want him to ever have to feel that way again, especially under false pretenses.

My eyes slowly moved to glance over to Harry since the first time he drove up to the school for me. Even then he didn't look too happy to see me. My tongue traced over my lip, my teeth eager to bite at it until I could peel some of my skin away.

"I didn't mean to upset you." I told him honestly, without giving him any reason as to what even happened. I knew that he'd probably get angry once I spoke Louis' name and I wasn't sure if he would handle the revelation the same as me or possibly worse.

"Can you at least tell me that somebody didn't hurt you? Did someone from the team bother you when I wasn't around?" He asked me.

I couldn't because I definitely felt hurt and, if I lied again, my voice wouldn't be able to sound convincing.

I nodded my head slowly, knowing that if I was silent for too long that Harry would get the same answer. For some reason I thought that answering in some way would be better than not answering him at all.

"Who?" His voice practically demanded. His posture now changing as he sat up straighter and leaned over closer to me. "What happened, babe?" His voice then changed to a softer tone as his fingers stroked at my hair just above my ear.

My jaw felt heavy because I felt like crying and I didn't want to cry again. Just thinking about it made me feel this way, like there was so much pressure inside of me that it would soon be too strong to fight against. I blinked as I looked down again, my hands now joined tightly in my lap.

"Can we just get out of here?" I asked him. "I don't want to be here anymore. I promise I'll tell you but I'd really like to be somewhere else."

I felt as Harry's forehead press against the side of my head before it was replaced by the warm press of his lips, his whisper that followed ghosting over the shell of my ear, "I'll take you anywhere you want me to."