Chapter 4

"Care to explain?" Liam asked as he stood next to me, leaning against the wall by the equipment room doors.

I was dreading this the rest of my school day. To be honest, in that moment, I was suffering from cognitive dissonance majorly. Of course, I knew agreeing was completely and utterly stupid for me to do. On one hand, I could have told them that I wasn't going to do it and then have to fear the wrath of Zayn and Louis the next time they've gotten me alone in a corner. Then, on the other hand, I could do what they asked of me as the loyal water boy and earn points on their good side. Plus, I could avoid a beating this way. With pressure, those thoughts were always on the back of my mind.

Would this be the time they accepted me?

Would they give me a day off and leave me alone?

Then there was that part of me that wanted to please Harry, to show him that I was a good enough person to be involved with the team. He asked me to do something and I'll do whatever it takes to do it.

So, my secondary option pushed through stronger to fulfill some kind of need that I was feeling. I wished my common sense filter was on so I could have avoided this but it's too late for that. I was now keeping up my end of the bargain.

"Not really," I mumbled as I dragged the bag out of the closet, hoping to not be heard.

Once I managed to get the bag out, Liam reached forward with his much stronger arms to throw the bag over his shoulder.

"If this is such a bad idea, then why are you helping me go through with it?" I asked him as I closed the heavy door and locked it again, placing the spare key into my pocket.

Liam knew how to make smart decisions and him being here as the accomplice to the accomplice was not the right choice for him to be making.

"I offered to be the one to make sure that you weren't going to back out. Would you rather have Zayn or Louis watching over you?" He mused in a tone laced with annoyance. Then he let out a frustrated sigh. "I know what it's like sometimes, alright?"

I gave him a confused look as we began walking carefully outside like we were carrying a dead body in a body bag instead of plastic balls full of compressed air.

"Wh-what do you mean by  that?" I couldn't help but asked him.

"To be bullied." He shrugged. "I transferred schools and became involved in athletics to reinvent myself and to build up my confidence and strength. I'm not going to give you the 'It Gets Better' speech because sometimes you have to just make it happen for yourself no matter how scared you are."

Liam was bullied? Liam Payne was bullied? How could a person so kindhearted be bullied? Well, like he skipped around telling me, I didn't know the person he was before the muscular football player. I couldn't ever picture it happening to him now because all I see in Liam is the lad I have walking next to me.

"The one thing I didn't have that I wish I did through it all was a friend." He added.

I shoved my hands into the pockets of my sweatpants as we strolled down the uneven dirt and grass.  No one from the team was supposed to befriend the poor and pathetic water boy. I could see that Liam was just trying to help me out but I never let myself open to anymore before because, like he could easily point out in me, I was scared.

"Are you saying you want to be my friend? Is that it?" I looked over to him, trying to hold back my nervous snicker. "You do know Zayn and Louis might start picking on you, too? You obviously survived being bullied once and friends don't let friends suffer the same shit twice."

"I can take the two without a problem."

Yeah, he really could. I glanced away as the muscles in both his biceps and triceps were still flexing from carrying the heavy weight of the bag.