Chapter 26

I stood next to the street as Harry drove away. Our kiss didn't last too long due to the fact that it seemed like we hadn't a clue to as to what we were doing. I didn't really have too much experience in kissing and I had no clue of Harry's track record, not that I really wanted to know what it consisted of. All I could really say about it was that it was starting to feel more and more like I was getting comfortable with the idea instead of being overwhelmed that our lips were actually touching and that didn't fade on into something else. 

It was nothing like in my imagination. Obviously, I had a major lack of sensation in my mind, though sometimes I actually believed that what was going on was in fact real because it was so close to feeling that way. What made it more real was that it wasn't some perfect moment with some romantic gesture. As our lips touched rain didn't being to fall upon us. Nothing turned into a heated passion between our mouths. There was no tongue either but, hopefully, we'll get there. 

My teeth began to play with the inside of my lips as I tired to recall exactly how I actually felt in that moment. Apparently, kissing didn't require that much thinking and I thought that I could think about the way my lips were supposed to be moving. I wanted to do it right for so many reasons but that all went away as soon as Harry gently nudged his lips against my own to wake them up. Now, all I was left with was this hazy feeling but maybe that was the nostalgia of it all. 

I had to not grin like an absolute fool every time we'd pull apart from one another. I'm not going to lie and act like I wasn't beyond happy about how things seemed to be suddenly falling in place just for me. I haven't had to deal much with Zayn or Louis. I was slowly beginning to talk about my problems. Harry and I kissed, more than once, and he told me that he liked me too. There was this one thing that I felt myself missing though, even if I should be a happier person I still felt like there was a part of me I was neglecting. I didn't feel much like the water boy anymore.

I really hope that the decision would keep me in the position. I wouldn't care if the boys went on with ignoring me. I still had Liam and Harry who were now my friends so I wouldn't be completely alone. Sure, the rest of the lot won't like me too much because of whatever could happen to two of the team's players but it's not like I haven't dealt with that before. Hell, if life wanted to be overly kind, maybe the boys would cut me some slack if Zayn and Louis were put on some sort of probation. 

The water boy was sometimes how I identified myself. It wasn't in the way Zayn or Louis have. I've already had the chance to miss out on practices and I was bored out of my mind. The water boy was my job and it was the way that I've become so close to Harry. I didn't want to erase that part of myself out of my life. Besides, I was going to lose the title by the end of the season anyway so I might as well be able to enjoy it until the end. I think I deserve to make it that far. I think I deserve to see how it ends for all of the boys as well. I've been there from the start and it would just sadden me if I couldn't make it full circle on this. 

Shaking my thoughts, I realised I was still standing outside of my house. Harry's car was long gone now and there was just me, standing in the cold with my hands stuffed up into my sleeves like he left me and I was waiting for his return, believing so hopefully that he'd return. 

But those hopefuls didn't have my mum, who would probably be opening the door and shouting to the entire neighbourhood that I was going to catch a cold if I didn't get my arse back inside the house. Wanting to skip out on that little moment, I turned around and began walking back towards my house, Harry's last words, other than "I really need to get going now. I'll see you tomorrow", replayed happily in my mind, giving my footsteps a noticeable boost. 

I like you, too, Niall.

Hey, Niall! Harry likes you too.