When You Spread Your Wings and Soar

"Time is a great teacher; unfortunately it kills all of its pupils."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hunter's eyes were closed, and they were never to open again. As I gazed at him, I wondered if I would suffer the same fate, and if I would die in the short amount of time that he did. But was he really dead? There wasn't any way I could check and see, his body was ten feet away and it would be impossible to get past the dozens of fallen angel's that surrounded him. Maybe if I could get away with a quick sprint towards him, my sudden movement might catch them by surprise. Would that make them kill me faster or slower?

Agonizing pain rippled through my weak body, and the mere thought of Hunter dead brought tears to my eyes. But tears of anger soon replaced the tears of loss, and in that moment I decided that despite the fact that I wanted to live, it wouldn't be worth it without Hunter. And the sooner they killed me, the sooner I would get to fly away to him up in Heaven. If that wasn't a good dying wish, then what was?

A nagging thought wouldn't go away. As these evil creatures glared at me with vivid, glowing eyes, I knew that I didn't want them to be the death of me. I'd rather kill myself than to be murdered by them. A new plan sprung itself in my mind. I absorbed every detail of Hunter as I risked one more glance at what was left of his deflated body. The fallen angels were advancing on me, so I didn't have much time to look at him. But I wanted too so badly. I wanted his beautiful face to be imprinted in my vision before I went through with my plan.

His eyes were closed, but I remembered the crystal clear blue orbs that made me feel alive and impulsive. His plump lips were upturned into a frown right now, but I recalled the day we spent in Starbuck's, the moment when I first saw him really smile. It made me elated with happiness, a joy no other person could give to me. Currently, his dark hair was limply slicked to his head, but my mind wondered to the first time I discovered what it felt like to fly. A flashback came of his smiling face staring me, wind ruffling his hair. Hunter was gone, but in a way he wasn't. He existed in my heart now. Nothing mattered except finding my way to him as fast as I could.

I stood up as quick as my wobbly legs could withstand. I wasn't far from the edge of the roof, and from there it was about a ten story fall. Cool air blew into my face and hair. I reached up and slowly took my ponytail out. They surrounded me, and would've attacked right then if I hadn't of turned around and dashed towards the edge. I felt long fingernails scratch me as they tried to stop me with their petty hands. Nobody could stop me now, I was invincible.

Well, not really, but I'm allowed to think that, right?

I was never one to follow the rules. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm used to the rush of adrenaline I get when I see a cop and I know there are drugs on me. I've learned to embrace the feeling of fear (especially in the last few months) but right now, I felt more daring than I ever had before. I swear a pair of wings grabbed ahold of me as I leapt off the roof. You know that anticipation you feel when you're riding a roller coaster and it's about to drop? It felt like that for those first couple seconds where I hovered above air before falling.

Then I fell, and nothing was there to catch me. Aren't wings supposed to help you fly away, not drag you down? As my body began the dangerous plunge to death, I let my thoughts and worries cease until I no longer thought of anything, except for Hunter. I'll be honest: it was truly horrifying, but to the point to where it was exhilarating at the same time. My stomach felt like it was in my throat, my arms were carelessly thrown above my head. I will always remember what the fall was like, because although it was indeed short, I had never felt so spontaneous in my entire life.

No drug could ever amount to defying the people who held complete control over your life. The rebelling I'd done most of my life would never compare to this type of rebellion. I felt an abundance of courage and pride for myself; I had never stood up to anyone in this way. It would cost me my life, yes, but if that's what it took to achieve freedom.

I never did anything when Tony threw my makeup out the window, when he slapped me and drugged me. But this made up for all of that. He wouldn't get the satisfaction of killing me, of making me feel like being a small rodent cornered (helpless). I knew that's what he wanted all along; he enjoyed spinning out the weakness in people, like pulling out the web from a spider. Because of Hunter I've been molded into a stronger person, with confidence as tall as the building I'm jumping from.

I didn't consider this a suicide.

I know that technically it is, but in my mind it doesn’t count. It's not like I purposely wanted to die because I'm miserable or something, I would just prefer existing in a place where I don't ever have to worry about being killed. Hunter and I could live freely in a perfect world and leave this place behind. Now that I've lived nearly eighteen years on earth I think it's acceptable for me to say that I've gotten my taste of being a human.

Who wants to be a human when you can be an angel?

Who wants to walk grounded on earth when you can soar high above the clouds?

Who wants to live confined when you can live free?

So that's why I had a smile on my face as my body crashed into the concrete ground.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nobody's Point of View

Natalie died that night. It was a gallant death, influenced by her hate for the fallen angels. Hunter was not dead as she had thought though. They had put a spell on him that made him appear unconscious, when he was actually fully aware of everything going on. He witnessed Natalie's brave fall, even felt a burst of pride. He wasn't worried about her, for he knew exactly how this story would end.

The fallen angels, of course, rushed down after her. She was pronounced dead when they reached her, her neck bent at an awkward angle. But they still tried everything they could think of to get her back. They attempted putting a spell on her to wake her from the dead, but nothing brought her back. Tony's face was an impossible mask to decipher, but deep down he felt defeated. Utterly defeated. He didn't understand what went wrong, how he screwed up. He just knew he was tired of the chase, tired of never being able to feel anything. 

What Natalie and Hunter didn't know was while they were eating at the restaurant; her dad was murdered by the angels. It was a quick death.

The most important part is that Natalie died with a smile on her face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This isn't the final chapter. 

~angel~