The New Guy

"Live right now, just be yourself. It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else."

~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I so had no idea what I was in for. You know how when you're in trouble, say with your parents, and you try to roam through your memories to see what the hell you did wrong? Well right now it was like that for me. I took a deep breath. He couldn’t possibly be mad at me, I didn't remember doing anything to piss him off in the first place.

"What is it?" I asked causally.

He sighed and ran his hands through his gel-coated hair again, something he does when he's nervous or agitated. I took note of how he's done this twice within a 24 hour period.

"We got a new guy coming to this school today," he replied in his usual slang. I shrugged my shoulders.

"So, what’s the big deal? Our school has a lot of new students every day. There's like 4,000 kids in our school, what makes this guy special?" I wondered, curious.

"Well your right, normally it wouldn't be a problem, but he pissed off my nigga Chris real bad, and we gotta let him know that LFL ain't gonna put up with his shit."

Now I really felt bad for the guy. I mean, maybe he deserved the hell that was coming to him, but odds are the gang's just over-reacting. That's one thing that really ticked me off about his friends. If someone even did something like look at them wrong, they whooped their ass and dissed them. I mean, really, grow up. Put on your big boy pants.

Tony lit up a cigarette and offered it to me after taking a long drag. I graciously accepted, occasionally taking a few puffs. The burn it caused at the back of my throat almost made me choke, but I was used to it by now.

"What did the guy do?" I asked.

I noticed his grip on the steering wheel increased. Wow, he must really be on edge. I leaned over and gave him a peck on the cheek. He relaxed a little.

"So Chris was walkin' up to the gas station by his house, right? And this guy nearly runs over his ass with his truck. Chris gets pissed and starts cuss'in out the guy, then the guy flips him off and yells out the window, "'Go back to Mexico, you filthy wetback."' And now we about to hit this nigga up, you just wait Angel."

So I guess this guy might deserve what he gets, any idiot knows not to do that. Stupid move on his behalf. But letting it go would have a better effect than igniting the drama. If there's one thing they all loved, it was drama. Their unlucky victims in the past can tell you all about the hell that was handed to them over the smallest of things.

"Well don't get too wound up, boo, let Chris handle him. He'll do the job."

He glanced over at me, giving me a hard look.

"Yeah babe, that ain't gonna happen. Mess with one of us, mess with all of us."

I rolled my eyes. That memo they use annoyed the hell out of me. We got closer to our school, so I stubbed out my cigarette and sprayed some air freshener in the car. To get his mind off things, I told Tony to park in an alley close to school. He got the memo and turned the car off when we got there. Reaching over, I cupped his face with my hands. He pressed his lips harshly against mine on instinct. He was  a good kisser no matter how rough he got. 

His hot breath sent warmth throughout my entire body as his callused hands roamed over my arms, shoulders and face. I gasped in surprise when I felt him bite my lips, but to be honest I'd gotten use to it by now. My hands met his hair and lightly combed through it as our tongues intertwined. 

Before we got too caught up in the moment, I reminded him we had to go soon.

I pulled away, but his grip on my face tightened. I'm sure he didn't mean to be rough; he was probably just enjoying himself. He still wouldn't let go. And when he finally did we were even more late, so we pulled out and started heading to school.

With still a couple of minutes remaining till we got there, I pulled out my makeup bag and started re-applying it in the mirror. He had really messed it up while we were making out. I was in the middle of applying eyeliner underneath my eye when suddenly I felt Tony's hand snatch my face and sharply turn it to his direction. He looked at me closely then let go.

I stared open-mouthed at him, what happened? Before I could ask, we reached a stoplight. He grabbed my makeup supplies and threw them all out the window in a single thrust. He floored on the gas when the light turned green.

"What the hell?!" I shouted.

"I like you better with no make-up on. You look too slutty with all that black crap around your eyes."

I couldn't even muster up a comeback; I was too shocked over his words. He threw my makeup out a window! He had no right to just do that, those supplies cost me a good buck. Tony found a tissue from under his seat and handed it over to me without meeting my eyes. 

"Here, wipe your face off with this. You look better going natural."

I yanked it from him. I had no idea what my next action was going to be, either yell at him for being commanding or do as he told me. Fury raged inside me, but since I tried to avoid confrontation at all costs I chose the easy way out.

"Well, go on now, we'll be at school soon, Angel."

I huffed angrily and silently removed my makeup with shaking hands. 

"Happy now, babe?" I asked, sarcasim dripping heavily in my tone.

"Aw come on, Angel, don't get all bitchy on me. I mean, you do look really hot today."

"Thanks, but you’re so mean sometimes," I pouted in my seat.

"Well, I brought some weed and my pipe today, think that'll make up for it?"

"Maybe." Or maybe not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In first period, I was mad because A) Tony was an ass earlier and B) Just a minute ago while we were in the hallway, a teacher told him to take his hat off (which hincluded his gang name, strictly forbidden) and he refused to listen so he was sent to the Principle's office. Sometimes I wonder why I bothered being with him if I never actually got to be with him.

Everybody in the gang was wound up today, knowing there was going to be a fight with Chris and the new guy. My homegirls Maria and Elizabeth were waiting for me when the bell rang after first period ended. They hugged me with their tattooed arms as I told them about Tony getting in trouble earlier.

"Damn! And you said he had a bud on him? We coulda smoked that today, man. You think maybe they'll let him off easy?" Elizabeth said in her heavy hispanic accent.

"Doubt it, he cussed the teacher out," I replied.

"Damn," they both said in unison.

"Hey look! Chris found the guy. Shit's about to go down!" Maria shouted.

Sure enough, a small crowd was forming around Chris and the guy. We ran up and watched the pre-fight. The new guy's back was facing us, so I didn't get a chance to see what he looked like, but Chris was cussing him out like crazy and getting all up in his face. The guy never replied, but instead turned and looked me directly in the eye.

And smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~

 Sorry for the, er, name calling and whatnot. But really not that sorry (:

~angel~