An Unexpected Arguement

"I've learned...
that our background and circumstances may
have influenced who we are, but we are
responsible for who we become."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, after being safetly tucked in bed by Hunter, I let my mind go over everything that happened.

I had never felt so alive.

I could still feel his lips on mine, it was almost like they were imprinted there forever, and I didn't mind in the slightest. Tonight had been one of those incredible nights that I wouldn't ever forget. It was everything I needed, like taking a vacation to paradise in the middle of a storm. The start of something new and amazing.

The future held danger with a promise, but for now in this moment, I was as happy as I ever was.

(He kissed me!)

After our enlighting first kiss, we laid down on the grass with our heads leaned against the boulder, and we just talked. And cuddled, of course. I discovered that when I was with him, I didn't really need a jacket or coat, his body heat was warmer than Mexico. The best feeling in the world was when I was wrapped in his arms. I felt so safe and at home, that's why we agreed that our song was "Your Arms Feel Like Home" by 3 doors down.

I knew this happiness would be short lasting, we couldn't risk being all lovey dovey at school or in public. I didn't want Tony to get pissed and make a plan to jump Hunter....or me.

So for now we agreed on a secret relationship. However, he never directly asked me to be his girlfriend or anything, so I couldn't really say that we're actually dating, more along the lines of friends with benefits.

Fucking amazing benefits.

Hunter had returned me home around 1 am, and now it was 2. I was way too giddy too fall asleep, so instead I chose to lay down and obsess over him. I changed the background on my phone, it used to be a picture of Tony kissing me on the cheek, but now it was me flashing the peace sign.  I miss the old him, the romantic and happy Tony.

These days he just walked around with a permanent scowl.

I knew there was more drama with the gang, I saw on Facebook earlier some random white guy had stood up to Tony. Wow, it was almost like Hunter started something. Could this be the beginning of some sort of revolution between the normal kids and the gangbangers?

Shit, that's something I'd pay to see.

But if things did come down to it, which side would I choose?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rode the bus to school again in the morning.

Thankfully, Tony wasn't waiting for me by my apartments or by the school when I got there. In fact, I really didn't see much of him at all throughout the entire day. Maybe he finally got tired of pestering me when he knew I wouldn't obligate, or maybe he just gave up altogether.

The following two weeks passed by quickly and cheerfully. The gang pretty much left me alone, although Elizabeth and Maria still talked to me and begged me to take Tony back.

"We know he misses you, chica!" Maria told me.

"I know, it's just I'm not ready to forgive him yet. Maybe give it time." Elizabeth gave me a look.

"Girl, I see the way you are with that white kid. You got a thing with him?" She raised up her penciled in eyebrows. I gave her my most innocent look, hoping it looked convincing.