Later That Night

"You only think that you're immune to feelings. The most unlikely person could reduce you to tears, laughter, or spontaneous declarations of love."

 ~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hunter dropped me off at my house at around 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Around this time of day I usually noticed the sun shined the brightest and the sky was the most radiant, or at least for me, a girl who greatly believed in the beauty of nature. 

Sometimes my dad talked about how I was more of a hippie than a badass gangster he thought I was trying to be. When he joked like that I'd laugh and assure him that I am most certainly not trying to be a gangster and that hippies don't tend to listen to metal. But I suppose I saw his point.

 After our chat about angel's, we had settled on a content silence the rest of the way to my home, both of us happy just having each other's company. We were staring off into space and smiling at absolutely nothing at all, and I knew it couldn't just be me who felt mesmerized by him, I could even tell he had slight feelings for me too because of the look on his face which resembled happiness and joy.

I gave him directions to where I lived and how to get there (he was still new to the area) and he followed them obediently. But somehow I got the impression that he already knew where I lived, for example at times he would take turns that were correct but that I hadn't told him to take. It made me wonder if he had ever been at my apartment before. When we pulled up to my complex, I couldn't help but ask him. 

"Have you been here before?"

He looked at my sheepishly and grinned.

"I wish, but sorry to admit that today was the first time that I've actually met you before."

I took note of how he said he's never met me before, I found it unusual and a tad bit suspicious. Most people would've said something like, "I've never seen you before..." The way he said it made me think that he had seen me from far away, but never from up close and personal. I didn't question him out loud though. I unbuckled my seatbelt and leaned over to his side to give him a light hug and to thank him for today.

"I really mean it, Hunter. You really were there for me today when I needed help the most and for someone to talk too, and even though we sort of just met, I'd be happy to hangout again if you ever wanted too."

He smiled and hugged me back.

"Your welcome, Angel. Your a special one, that's for sure. Your boyfriend really doesn't deserve you, so take that into some consideration. But anyways, go home and rest and try to do something that'll help you think through things," I smiled, I already knew just what to do. Write. "And I just might take you up on that offer...want to go out tomorrow night?"

I blushed and nodded my head yes. "Of course I want to! I mean, not to sound desperate...or anything..." I stuttered while he laughed. "But that sounds good. This time it's on me."

He frowned. "No can do, a gentleman would never let his lady do that. She deserves to be treated special."

I chuckled and climbed out of his truck, thanking him one last time as I shut the passenger door. A second later he rolled down the window.

"Oh and Angel, call or text me tonight," he said, rather seductively. I think I almost died right there, the way he said that was just so sexy. I couldn't recall anyone ever having this effect on me before.

I nodded and waved goodbye as I turned around. Walking away, I paused once more to look over my shoulder to see if he was still there. He was, and he made a funny face at me. I laughed and flipped him off before walking into my apartment. While walking I made sure to swing my hips wider than normal to show off my butt a little more. I realized how ridiculous that was once going inside, and I felt like a bird trying to impress the other by doing odd things.

But I liked the way he had considered me "his lady." It sounded more preferable than "bae."

Later that night, over the usual dinner with my dad, I asked him if it was okay that I hung out with a friend the following night. He never cared what I did as long as he knew where I was. However, this time he shook his head and said no. I was completely surprised; he always let me go anywhere.

"What? How come?" I asked.

"Honey, I made a new friend at work and he's coming over for dinner tomorrow night with his kid, and I want you to be there. They're good people from what I can tell, and I want the guy to like me, we both know I never get out and have fun."

I understood and agreed on staying home. I felt a lot of pity for my dad, he worked odd hours and he never had any social life of his own. He was the best, and I wanted him to be happy at least this once.

I went to my room after dinner and a shower. I couldn’t wait to text Hunter, which made me feel a little guilty because Tony had left dozens of voice and text messages on my phone, and while I refused to communicate with him, I felt bad in a way for being eager to text Hunter. But it didn't matter because I doubted I would ever forgive Tony.

What he had done was mortifying and outrageous, and I sure as hell wouldn't stand to be treated that way again. Most of my trust in him had vanished.

But my trust in Hunter was just beginning.

~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~

It was about midnight when I decided to call it a night. I had sent my final message to Hunter to let him know I was going to bed, and when I felt my phone vibrate I smiled like a little schoolgirl when I saw it was him. The text was simple.

Good night, Angel. Sweet dreams (; see you at school tomorrow..

Yes, he had purposely made my name in italic just so I would hear a mental sound of him and how he really said it. This guy was really getting to me.

We had texted each other for hours upon hours, making small talk and making my trust in him grow as he asked questions about me and  I told him things nobody had ever bothered to ask me before. Sounded stupid, but I don't think anybody would understand what I'm going through unless they've really found the person whose personality molded perfectly with yours, and that's exactly how I felt with Hunter. It just amazed me about how interested he was with me, like he actually cared about things that nobody else would ever notice. We simply clicked together perfecly, like a puzzle.

I stared dreamily at my ceiling and I imagined him in his bed at home. Could he possibly be thinking about me as well? He hadn't been upset at all when I had to cancel our plans for tomorrow, but only because he told me his uncle was dragging him somewhere anyway. 

I laid there and thought about all the events that had happened today, replaying the important parts over and over again in my head, then finally I could feel myself start to drag off to sleep.

Until I heard a pebble being thrown at my window.

~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~

 A hippie gangster who listens to metal. Damn straight. 

~angel~