The Dinner Guests

'"True love is knowing someone's faults, and loving them even more for them."

~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

After a pretty terrific day at school, I returned home to find my dad sitting on our couch watching baseball.

The Jack Daniel was sitting innocently on the coffee table, untouched. It held the same amount of liquid as it did when I had left earlier in the morning. This must mean, uh-oh. I'm in trouble. Dad must have noticed that I took some. Well, my best chance would be to act nice and fake regret. If that didn't work, then I guess I would just go ahead and tell him what was up.

"Hey Daddy, how are you?" I went over and gave him a peck on the cheek. He shook his head and made eye contact with me.

"We both know that's not going to work. Let's just get this shit settled out so it can be done with, alright?" I rolled my eyes and agreed, then sat next to him on the couch.

"Baby, you know I have very few rules. I let you have alot of freedom, but this-" He gestured to the bottle of Jack "- is taking your freedom to loosely. Now, we both are aware that you don't touch or drink my alcohol, I can't stop you from drinking whoever else's, but mine is reserved for me only-"

I cut him off. "- Dad, I get it. I really do. But some confusing stuff has been happening lately, and I really just needed an immediant relief. You can understand that, right? I mean, I really don't recall ever drinking your stuff before, so it's not like I ever do. But still, I promise it won't ever happen again."

He sighs and runs his fingers through his hair. Do all guys do this when their frustrated or thinking?

"Okay baby, it's over with, let's move on. I believe you. Now I know I've never been too good when it came down to discipline, that was always your mom's job, but since she ....passed away...I always feared having to punish you, that's why I normally don't. But I don't want you taking advantage of my lack of it, so this once I'm going to have to lay down the law."

I winced, not wanting to hear what it was going to be.

"Come on, don't look so sad Sugar. Tell you what, I'll go kind of easy on you. Remember how I told you I was having dinner tonight and I wanted you to be here? Well I had decided I would let you skip it, but now I want you to really join us. And cook the dinner. I bought a steak, it's in the fridge-" I didn't let him finish, I wrapped him into a tight bear hug.

I was thankful he didn't go hard on me, I probably wasn't even going out tonight to begin with. My "friends" I was avoiding, Tony ecspecially. And if I remembered, Hunter said he had to go somewhere with his Uncle tonight. So I guess this all worked out alright.

I got up and started making the steak, along with a ton of vegtables for me (steak was gross) and a salad for everyone. In the middle of me boiling the veggies in a pan, I heard my Dad approach me from behind. I turned around and saw him lean awkwardly against the counter. He looked like he was trying to say something, but couldn't get the words out of his mouth.

"Dad? Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah. But hey, I wanted to ask you...you said some stuff earlier about going through some confusing stuff and all, and I just wanted to say that I'm here, if you need to talk."

"Dad?" 

"Yeah?"

"Thanks. I mean it. And what's happening, it's really no big deal. Just some drama with Tony and his friends, and then I met this one other guy and Tony's all jealous...long story. This isn't really your thing though, is it? Teenage girl problems and all." We both laughed.

"I'm trying to manage. This was supposed to be your mom's specialty, but you know, stuff happens along the way....and one more thing Nat, I want you to understand something. No matter how big a problem you have, drinking is never the answer. All it can do is fuck you up for a little while, then you remember everything again, and it hurts ten times worse. Solve your problems a different way, honey. It may be too late for me to stop, but it's not for you."

I felt teardrops form behind my eyeballs. Talking about my mom was always a painful subject, but I guess discussing her helped sometimes in a way. Plus, he was right about the drinking part. You could forget temporarily, but the pain was always going to be there.

My mom had died in a car accident when I was about 5 or 6. We used to live in an actual house, and a beautiful one at that. Then she passed away, but for some reason the government never paid us whenever they were supposed to when someone dies. Hince us now living in our apartment. We just couldn't keep up the expenses. I don't remember that house much, but it doesn't mean I don't still miss it. Besides, it had apparently always been my mom's dream house, so it sucked when my parents finally got it, then having to move out when she died. Life is weird sometimes.

"Your right, dad. It's not, but sometimes you just have to find ways to let go. But I'll try to stop, promise."

He walked over and kissed me on the forehead.

After our little father/daughter moment, I went back to cooking and such. A half hour before my dad's friend was supposed to show, I heard my dad talking on the phone with him. A moment later he came into the kitchen and told me his friend's relative would be with us as well.

"I want you to put some sort of shirt over that tank top, I don't want anybody getting the wrong impression of you." I rolled my eyes at him and went into my room and put my pink shirt from earlier over my black tank. I took my gym shorts off too and put on some black short shorts. Good enough.

I texted Hunter afterwards and asked what he was up to. He responded quickly.

"Driving someehere with the uncle, hey we're bout to be there so I gotta put my phone away, txt you later, Angel (; "

My heart fluttered.

A couple minutes later the doorbell rang, I ran to get it and as soon as I opened it, my mouth flew open in surprise.

Guess who.

~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~angel~