A Starbucks Miracle

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird, that cannot fly."

~~~~~~~~~~~~.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

His muscular arms encircled me, and I couldn't remember ever feeling so warm and comfortable like I was now.

But then reality and my given situation struck me at once, and all the hell I would have to face when I got home rushed at me immediantly. Honestly, I really wasn't in the best mood to cheat on Tony. Retreating from his embrace, I scooted back a few inches so we wouldn't appear so close. My current problem flashed through my mind, it wasn't something I could easily forget about. Tony would be pissed and apologizing, and LFL might treat me like crap for ditching them in the parking lot. But I mean really, who could blame me? I doubted anyone else would really stick around after their boyfriend backhanded them.

We paid, got our drinks and found a booth to sit in. We slid in on opposite sides, which I was thankful for because he stayed out of my space so I wouldn’t feel tempted and I got a better view from him here. My hot chocolate that I ordered steamed when I stirred it with a straw as I waited for it to cool some. He slurped on his frappicino, locking his warm brown eyes on mine. I could tell he was staring at the red mark on my cheek, and suddenly I felt uncomfortable.

Hunter opened his mouth to say something about it but before he could I excused myself to go to the restroom.

I went straight for the mirror when I entered the bathroom. Right off the bat I took note of a huge red welt that spread across my cheek. It stung like a bitch. I looked like shit, my hair was a mess from running, my clothes were rearranged and not to mention my huge obvious welt.

It looked like I just got raped or beat up.

I had forgotten my purse in his truck, so I asked the lady beside me in the mirror if she had a brush or comb. She kindly digged in her purse and handed me a brush when she found one.

"Here you go honey. Oh dear, what happened to you? And shouldn't you be in school?" she asked.

"Thank you, 'mam. And its a long story, I'm fine though," I replied.

"Well that's good, but are you sure? I could call the cops or the hospital or something if you need me too." I shook my head once again and began the task of running the brush through my tangles. At least I had straightened my hair today; if it were curly it would've been ten times harder to brush through. I ran some water over my face and pressed a wet paper towel against my cheek in hopesto fade the redness. I adjusted my clothes and thanked the lady as I walked out, still holding the paper to my cheek.

I walked back to the table and gave him a shrug as I slid in. He gave me a questioning look about the towel, and I told him.

"It's a long story." Maybe he wouldn't ask questions.

Of course I was wrong.

"As you can tell, I've got plenty of time," he smirked and stretched out, pretending to look relaxed as he waiting for me to go on. I giggled. He resembled the exact look that he had in the Principle's office earlier that day. It felt like a lifetime ago.

"Well, maybe I'm not in the mood to re-live it," I replied with a smirk to match his.

"Well then in that case, I guess I just won't be in the mood to take you anywhere else," he said as he twirled his truck keys around his finger to mock me. I stuck my tongue out at him and took a tiny sip of my hot chocolate. Delicious.

"Do you want the long, true story or the short withdrawn one?" I asked him.

"Hmmm, the long one please."