43. Not Funny

What's up? It's been a long time since I've done an author's note! Did you miss them?

Anyway, this story has gotten pretty sad and serious. I promise you, it will get funny again. It will! Just stick with it!

Here I give you...

-

ISABEL

-

Isabel watched with uncertainty as the person untied her ropes. It was too good to be true, that they were going to get out of that room alive so easily. That their escape would be so simple.

Well Zach was shot but that wasn't that bad. He was still alive.

Isabel's gaze wavered to the bloody body of Kai, her head spinning at the sight. She had never really been good with the sight of blood or the dead. She had never been one to read graphic stories or watch murderous movies. The sight of Kai spewing blood on the floor helplessly unliving made Isabel quesy. Yes, she was upset that he was dead and crying her eyes out, but that didn't make what she was looking at less terrifying. That didn't make it less disgusting or horrifying.

The person untying her ropes stood up, gesturing for Isabel to do the same. And she did, sighing in relief as the ropes slacked off her body.

"Thanks, Katie," she mumbled, rubbing the raw red skin on her wrists.

Katie smiled, untying and ungagging Bettie. "No prob-"

"I'M FREE!" Bettie screamed, throwing the ropes behind her and jumping up. "HALLELUJAH!"

Katies eyes widened. "Bettie if they hear you-"

"HA HA! I'M FREE YOU SUCKERS! LA LA LA LA LA LA!" She started jigging around the stage, sticking her tongue out at various bad guys.

"Bettie stop before they-"

"FREEDOOOOOOM!" Bettie yelled, skipping off the stage.

Katie face-palmed. "Why did I untie her first? I should have-"

"HEY!" Mr. Ford ran over, gun pulled out. "GET OUTTA HERE!"

Isabel watched in horror as he aimed his gun directly at Katie, who was frozen with fear. It dawned on Isabel that these few seconds could be the last seconds Katie lived. They could be the last of Katie's smiles, Katie's jokes, Katie's everything. That in only three little moments Katie would be lying next to Kai, as dead as he was. That she wouldn't make it.

And Isabel was scared.

Isabel had a constant feat of dying, of not living. She feared that one day she'd go to sleep and she'd never wake up and what scared her the most in that moment was the instinct she had.

It was in slow motion, Mr. Ford pulling the trigger and the bullet whizzing through the air in hopes to hit Katie between the eyes. Isabel watched this happen, everything moving like the air was jello, slowly, as the bullet flew to hit her good friend.

She was certain Katie was going to die. She could already feel the loss weigh down in her chest.

But. That wasn't what happened.

Instead, Isabel jumped in front of Katie, the bullet smashing into her own chest instead of her head.

Isabel hit the floor like a rock, motionless, breathless. She was still alive, but the rushing shock of being struck by a bullet kept her from inhaling and exhaling.

"Isabel!" Katie cried, throwing herself on the ground next to her friend.

Isabel was struggling to breathe. Her wound was bleeding profoundly, her eyes were fading dark, and she was unbelievably dizzy. The world was dimming and dimming.

Katie was anxious to do something, to cover the bleeding wound, to relax her friend so that she could breathe, to magically heal her and have her be alright. But by the time she gathered her senses enough to do something, it was to late.

The kids tied up watched in horror as Isabel's eyes fluttered closed, them knowing that those few seconds before were the last seconds they'd ever see her blue orbs.

Isabel hadn't made it.

"Well I'm glad she's dead," Mr. Ford hummed, skipping over. "She was annoying!" He stopped above Katie, sticking the gun to Katie's forehead. "She was also an idiot. Didn't she realize I'd kill you whether or not she died?"

Katie grabbed Isabel's hand, tears raining from her eyes. She looked up to Mr. Ford, pitting sorrow laced in her feature.

"You're despicable," she sobbed.

BAM!

She didn't make it either.

Mr. Ford bursted out laughing.

"What's so funny, you psychopath?" Zach sneered. "You just killed two innocent girls, you shouldn't be laughing."

Mr. Ford slapped his knees. "But it was funny! Did you see the look on her face before she died? Hilarious!" He continued his obnoxiously loud cackling.

Eric shook his head. "It's not funny." A single tear fell from his eye. "It's just not."