58. Everything Was Dying

"I am the stupidest person who's ever lived," Zach muttered. "So-" he coughed "-stupid."

He crawled forward, whimpering when his leg banged into a locker. 

 "I'm coming Katrina..." he gulped in air, the thick, grey smoke clawing down his throat. "And Harry."

 He was only a few feet from the orchestra room door, from his friends, from his mistakes and regrets.  And he was very few minutes away from loosing all oxygen in his body. He knew what he was doing was idiotic, so idiotic, but he had to do this. He had to save the friends he shot. 

 Wincing, he brought himself to his knees and turned the knob with all the force he had. 

 And he was in. 

 And fire was everywhere.

 The entire room was enveloped in smoke and flames. The black chairs they used everyday burned like firewood while the wobbly stand (swords) melted into puddles. The instruments radiated orange as they turned to ashes and their ashes into memories. Zach saw everything, and everything was dying.

 Zach pulled himself up the door frame, searching the room for his friends. "Harry!" He tried to yell, but his throat was so scratchy from the smog, is came out like a hoarse cough. "Katrina!"

 He helplessly scanned the room for his friends, hoping they weren't burnt to a crisp like bacon. 

 Bacon.

 He loved bacon. 

 Especially on Saturday mornings with his family-

 He needed to concentrate. Focus. Harry and Katrina were inside of a burning room, probably dying. He had to save them. Focus. 

 "Katrina! Harry!" He stumbled into the room. 

 Beads of sweat lined his brow. He would've been crying, if the school wasn't sucking everything cool out. He only had a few more minutes before he was dead, he knew. But he couldn't leave. Not without them.

 "Guys, please!" He shouted. "I'm sorry!"

 He collapsed into a coughing fit, and then, he was on the floor. Un-moving.

 And, well, he was super close to not making it.